Deb's Reviews > Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne

Elizabeth by David Starkey

Oct 23, 2008

Recommended for: anyone interested in English history or the history of any royalty
Read in October, 2008

I bought this book and Six Wives a few years ago after hearing the author speak at the Newberry Library. I put Six Wives on hold after the Anne Boleyn chapter so I could read this before the 2nd Elizabeth movie came out. Unfortunately, it took me a little longer to get through it than I'd hoped. I found it completely fascinating, but was reminded that such a factual book requires your full attention (it's not 20 minutes here or there and it's not what I would recommend for beach reading). Now that I'm done, I feel like I could turn around and start it over again as it is so packed full of interesting facts (including newly discovered documents that were not revealed until the time Starkey wrote this book). This book is extremely well researched and insightful - its focus is primarily on Elizabeth's earlier years and rise to the crown, but it also addresses issues in the earlier years of her reign as queen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elizabeth.

10/23/2008 page 321