megs_bookrack's Reviews > Kingdom of the Wicked

Kingdom of the Wicked by Kerri Maniscalco

**4.5-stars**

Emilia and her twin sister, Vittoria, are part of a family of witches who live secretly among humans on the island of Sicily. Their family runs a renowned local restaurant, where both girls work.

At eighteen years old, they've been raised hearing the lore of their family, and other beings of the underworld; mostly at the knee of their beloved Nonna.

But these stories become all too real after Emilia discovers Vittoria, murdered and mutilated.

Overcome with grief, Emilia's saving grace seems to be her need for vengeance. Her overwhelming compulsion to find her sister's killer keeps her from wallowing in despair for too long. She has things to do.

Pairing herself with a Prince from Hell, Wrath, Emilia begins to follow clues through the shadow-ridden Sicilian streets, as more and more witches fall to the same fate as Vittoria.

In the beginning, I'll admit, I wasn't sold. It started a little slow for me.

The first couple of chapters seemed generic. Emilia felt like many YA characters I had read before. I was sceptical.

However, I am so happy to report, I had no reason to be. Once Emilia and Wrath met up, everything began to fall into place and I ended up really enjoying this.

While the format was slightly typical, as far as enemies-to-lovers tropes go, I still thought it was special; and I love that trope.

I thought the evolution of their relationship was perfectly paced and the way they worked together, two thumbs up. Until the bitter end, I was with them, hook, line and sinker.

As the story unfolds, Emilia displays impressive levels of guts and determination. She's up against some super scary forces, yet never backs down.

Pushing herself to the limits, her ability to stare straight in the face of danger was admirable. By the end, she was one of my new favorite heroines.

As far as Wrath goes, we stan. Everything about him, from his snarky attitude, his knowledge of all things dark and hellish, his tattoos, his sexy outfits, I loved it all.

I also feel like we have so much more to learn about him. Fingers crossed this happens moving forward in the series.

The atmosphere is top notch, as well, and I like that Maniscalco didn't shy away from including some very dark images and scenes. The last bit of this book was absolutely wild and I cannot wait for the next one to be released!!!

Seriously, is it too early to request a copy!?

Thank you so much to the publisher, Jimmy Patterson, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review.

I truly appreciate it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kingdom of the Wicked.

October 19, 2020 – Started Reading
October 19, 2020 – Shelved
October 20, 2020 –
6.0% "This is going to be delicious!"
October 25, 2020 –
10.0% "This book is making me hungry"
October 26, 2020 –
October 28, 2020 –
November 4, 2020 –
November 6, 2020 –
50.0% "Why are demons always so damn sexy?

"
November 7, 2020 –
58.0% "This is actually quite an intriguing murder mystery.
Hoping to finish this one today 🖤"
November 7, 2020 –
75.0% "It's official. I'm in love with Wrath.
Also, small aside, orange blosson is also my favorite scent for a bath.
🍊🍊🍊🍊🛀"
November 7, 2020 –
85.0% "Emilia!! Don't be an idiot! 🤦‍♀️"
November 8, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Great review Megs!

megs_bookrack Danielle wrote: "Great review Megs!" Thank you so much, Danielle! I appreciate that! xx

Virginja ↢ 99% imp I wish this book had used the setting better. There’s was nothing Italian about this book, nor historical fro the matter. If it was set in our times I’m sure I would have enjoyed it more

megs_bookrack Virginja ↢ 99% imp wrote: "I wish this book had used the setting better. There’s was nothing Italian about this book, nor historical fro the matter. If it was set in our times I’m sure I would have enjoyed it more" I appreciate your comment, Virginja. Thank you. I really enjoyed the atmosphere personally, but perhaps the Italian setting will be built out more as the series progresses. Will you be continuing or no?

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Great review Meg's I'm waiting for this book from my library, can't wait now

megs_bookrack Joanne wrote: "Great review Meg's I'm waiting for this book from my library, can't wait now" It's worth the wait, Joanne, but I hope it comes through soon and that you love it!!! xx