wout's Reviews > Turtles All the Way Down

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

bookshelves: audiobook, bookclub, fiction, endorsed, health, writing, zeal

“There’s an expression in classical music. It goes, ‘We went out to the meadow.’ It’s for those evenings that can only be described in that way: There were no walls, there were no music stands, there weren’t even any instruments. There was no ceiling, there was no floor, we all went out to the meadow. It describes a feeling.”
— TOM WAITS

I know she’s reading this right now. (HI.) I felt like we went out to the meadow tonight, only we weren’t playing music. In the best conversations, you don’t even remember what you talked about, only how it felt. It felt like we were in some place your body can’t visit, some place with no ceiling and no walls and no floor and no instruments.

After following John Green's work for many years, I had never got around actually reading one of his books.
For me it was a feast of recognition, due to many of its real life coincidental counterparts! Knowing how he is as a person, and seeing how you show your own characteristics and traits in your own work was a big eye-opener for me. I guess, since I preferred non-fiction for its objectiveness, this book showed and taught me and what good fiction can do, what it can make me feel - me as a reader.

I give "Turtles All the Way Down" five stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turtles All the Way Down.

Quotes wout Liked

John Green
“Anybody can look at you. It's quite rare to find someone who sees the same world you see.”

John Green
“You remember your first love because they show you, prove to you, that you can love and be loved, that nothing in this world is deserved except for love, that love is both how you become a person and why.”

John Green
“What I love about science is that as you learn, you don't really get answers. You just get better questions.”

John Green
“No, it's not, Holmesy. You pick your endings, and your beginnings. You get to pick the frame, you know? Maybe you don't choose what's in the picture, but you decide the frame.”

John Green
“I is the hardest word to define.”

John Green
“Our hearts were broken in the same places. That's something like love, but maybe not quite the thing itself.”

John Green
“In the best conversations, you don't even remember what you talked about, only how it felt. It felt like we were in some place your body can't visit, some place with no ceiling and no walls and no floor and no instruments”

John Green
“And we're such language-based creatures that to some extent we cannot know what we cannot name. And so we assume it isn't real. We refer to it with catch-all terms, like crazy or chronic pain, terms that both ostracise and minimise. The term chronic pain captures nothing of the grinding, constant, ceaseless, inescapable hurt. And the term crazy arrives at us with none of the terror and worry you live with.”

John Green
“Every loss is unprecedented. You can’t ever know someone else’s hurt, not really—just like touching someone else's body isn’t the same as having someone else’s body.”

John Green
“When you're on a Ferris wheel all anyone ever talks about is being on the Ferris wheel and the view from the Ferris wheel and whether the Ferris wheel is scary and how many more times it will go around. Dating is like that. Nobody who's doing it ever talks about anything else. I have no interest in dating.”

October 19, 2020 – Shelved