Deborah's Reviews > The Robe

The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas

Jul 03, 2012

bookshelves: christian, historical-fiction, bible-fiction, classic
Read in October, 1982

Impossible to begin saying how much this book means to me. It was the ultimate turning point in my life, and I've heard others express the same thing.

Although set in Biblical times--from the crucifixion of Christ onward--the story itself is fiction (in part). The Robe centers on the Centurion responsible for carrying out the crucifixion of Jesus. For the purposes of the story, he was the one who gambled for Christ's garments and won the robe. From that time, he became "bewitched" by the "power" of the robe.

In an attempt to bring the young man back to sanity, Caesar gives approval for him to investigate this Jesus and uncover the truth. The belief was that he would discover that Jesus was no different to any other man.

Thus begins a tour of discovery for the centurion, mixing fiction with Biblical fact in an involving and engrossing way.

The conclusion to The Robe is powerful and overwhelming. In my case, it was life changing. Thirty years later, I still remember exactly where I was at the time I turned the final page.

Anyone who loves a good Roman-set novel, with even a slight interest in finding out more about Jesus, will most probably find this a fascinating and compelling read. As far as I'm concerned, five stars just isn't enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Robe.

03/06 marked as: read