Evan's Reviews > Like Son

Like Son by Felicia Luna Lemus

Jul 26, 2007

Recommended for: anyone
Read in August, 2007

Well, this book is a book I loved reading. It's about a guy who was born a girl, his dying father, his touched mother (I don't really how to describe his mother, she's nuts really) and his partner of 7 years or so and how he deals with them and feels about them. After the reader meets his father and mother, Frank moves to New York. He and his girlfriend, Nathalie sleep thru 9/11 and their relationship is forever changed. Frank is also obsessed with a photograph his father, on his deatbed, has given him of Nahui Olin, an artist who lived in early twentieth-century Mexico, who inscribed a book of poems to his grandmother that reads:
My love,
"She went through me like a pavement saw."
Yours as ever for the revolution,
Nahui

These words and her picture shape his inner life.

The last few books I've read have been about men who used to be women and the subject matter is infinitely interesting to me. This is by far my favorite so far. Frank is such a sweet, well meaning guy.

I want to read it again. But I want to wait awhile and come back to it as if I was meeting an old friend. The separation and coming back together makes life so sweet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Son.