Andy's Reviews > The Celestine Prophecy

Jul 02, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: trashbooks
Recommended to Andy by: Brandon Gee
Recommended for: No one, ever.
Read from June 15 to July 03, 2012

A quick factual note before my review. The Maya didn't live in Peru. Period. Mayan civilization existed primarily in Mexico as well as the present-day nations of Guatemala, Belize, northern El Salvador and western Honduras. Not Peru. I'll say that again. No Maya. In Peru. Do some basic research next time Redfield.

This book is a cross between a sales pitch, and a religious text pushing what are apparently the religious beliefs of James Redfield.

Each chapter is an outline followed by a review of a particular tenet or "insight". So it's kind of like reading a textbook, with a story...

The Insight that provided information on the various "control dramas" used by people to steal energy from almost made me laugh. They work exactly like a horoscope. Provide a loose and wide ranging set of behaviors that can apply to almost anyone and you're guaranteed to match one of them up with most people. And not naming the main character, telling it from the first person... Clever move Redfield, putting the weak minded reader in a position to see them selves as the main character.

I found most of the characters to essentially be just one dimensional vehicles for elements of Redfield's religious philosophy. And the overall story was unconvincing at best... Someone I haven't seen or talked to in years just came back from Peru with an amazing spiritual text written in Aramaic by the Maya! I must go to Peru to find out more! Please... Stop...

At it's core this book is a shameless sales pitch. A skilled storyteller Mr. Redfield is not, but if you're inclined towards new age religious ideas (crystal healing, Scientology, Heaven's Gate, etc..) Then I can see where this might resonate with you. And if it does? Great, you should send money to James Redfield, because that's what he's asking you to do.

Also you should send me money too, because I found these amazing crystals, lets say... buried in my yard? Anyway when I have joint pain/feel sad all I have to do is wave them around the pain, and I can feel my aura get all tingly and the pain goes away/I feel happy. Seriously, I'm not even kidding. Send me money.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Celestine Prophecy.

07/28 marked as: read

Bengt i would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

message 2: by Clifton (new)

Clifton Bencke “So it's kind of like reading a textbook, with a story.” How novel. Kind’a like the Bible, eh?

Another factual note; it's the Maya, not Mayans. Mayan is ONE of their languages, not the people. Possibly. Western people such as you and me often get these words confused because while the Maya people are still alive today, their culture was pretty well eradicated by: the Catholic Church burning their libraries of thousands of books, and diseases brought by the Spanish conquerors and enslavers.

message 3: by Andy (new) - rated it 1 star

Andy Clifton wrote: "“So it's kind of like reading a textbook, with a story.” How novel. Kind’a like the Bible, eh?

It's more than kinda like the bible in that respect. Although, the many centuries of editing have made the bible a more interesting story than this waste of paper was.