Anabelle Bernard Fournier's Reviews > Authentic Success: Essential Lessons and Practices from the World's Leading Coaching Program on Success Intelligence

Authentic Success by Robert Holden

Jul 02, 2012

bookshelves: self-help

Another wonderful book by Robert Holden.

Given that I had already read Happiness NOW!, a lot of his ideas were already familiar to me. But these ideas are so important that they bear repeating, and so I don't think that reading this along with other works by Holden is in any way a waste of time. In fact, I think I got more out of this one because I had read it already, because his approach to success is very much based on his ideas about happiness. Basically, happy people are more naturally successful.

While Happiness NOW! was more philosophical in nature, this one has a more practical outlook. It's filled with exercises and tips on how to find what success really means to you, and then taking action. It forces you to look at your fears and at your deeply conditioned thoughts and beliefs about success and all its related elements.

A book, by itself, will never change your life, just like money by itself cannot make you happy. So unless you're willing to sit down with yourself and do the work, you probably won't reap all the benefits that this book can provide.

This book was well-structured, with tons of examples from a variety of sources like clients, seminars and other writers (including other psychologists, novelists, poets and philosophers). But, most of all, it's Holden's own deep belief in what he preaches that convinces me. You can feel his commitment to his subject through every word, and he doesn't seem like the hypocritical "do as I say, not as I do" type.

One chapter that especially touched me was the one about Money Sickness. I was on the edge of tears throughout. But if you want to know what he says about it... you'll have to read the book. I think that it should be read with an open mind and a desire to become a better person.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Authentic Success.

July 2, 2012 – Started Reading
July 2, 2012 – Shelved
July 2, 2012 – Shelved as: self-help
July 2, 2012 –
19.0% "I think I might read everything this guy wrote. His arguments resonate with me at a level I have not felt for a long, long time. It is high time I figure out what my true purpose is."
July 3, 2012 –
36.0% "Read this other book. Also NOW."
July 4, 2012 –
July 4, 2012 –
July 5, 2012 –
page 83
20.34% "I just had an illumination while reading tonight. About my purpose, about meaning, about everything. It's SO SIMPLE."
July 5, 2012 –
83.0% "Oops"
July 6, 2012 –
100.0% "Again: read this NOW if you want success in your life"
July 6, 2012 – Finished Reading