Lori's Reviews > Blood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef

Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

Jul 02, 2012

liked it

Once again wishing there were 1/2 stars. I'd give this 3.5. I got this as a loan for my kindle, so it wasn't something I'd normally pick up, but I'm glad I stumbled across it. It kept my attention all the way through, and there were parts I really enjoyed (versus "somewhat enjoyed"). Her descriptions of a writing program were hysterical (and spot-on). Really enjoyed being brought into parts of her life (her descriptions of NYC in the 80's, her childhood, southern Italy) etc. All in all, very interesting.

I guess what I'm feeling is, I respect the way she focused on the food and how it became this theme for her life and how hard she had to work at it and how it became a big piece of who she is... but where she does talk about personal relationships, you do feel like she's holding the reader (and therefore, possible the actual people) at arm's length. I'm torn because in some ways, this was refreshing. On the other hand, maybe it keeps the reader from really engaging with the book. If I were to be a dime-store psychoanalyst, you could read a lot into how her early childhood caused this... but that's really pulling away from the focus of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood, Bones, and Butter.