Kay's Reviews > The Broken Girls

The Broken Girls by Simone St. James

bookshelves: contemporary, fiction, historical-fiction, mystery, paranormal, speculative-fiction, suspense

There was much hype about The Broken Girls when it came out, so as always, I was a little nervous to jump in. Would it be as dark and mysterious as promised? Would it deliver the ghostly atmosphere I was hoping for?

I can say that mostly, yes, the book did fulfill my expectations, but it lacked that little je ne sais quoi to make it truly stand out.

First, I absolutely enjoyed the setting and the atmosphere. I love when a book plays with me, suggesting the idea of ghosts without really confirming it. I was never 100% sure what was going on and it made for a fantastic reading experience.

One of the most surprising aspect of the book, for me, was how much I liked Fiona. Something about her made me immediately care for her, and whenever the book jumped back in time to 1950, I wondered about her and missed her. I cared for her relationship with Jamie, too, and much more that I would have expected, since oftentimes I find that romances in mystery novels don’t bring much to the story. But their relationship rang true to me, and I found myself thinking I wouldn’t mind seeing both of them again in another novel.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t a fond of the chapters taking place in 1950 – which is basically half the book. I felt these chapters didn’t bring as much to the story as the ones taking place in 2014, and because they alternate between all four girls, I never really grew attached to them. I liked what their story was and where it lead, though.

All in all, The Broken Girls was a fun read. It didn’t meet all of my expectations, but it did more than enough for me to want to read more from Simon St. James. I have The Sun Down Motel on my shelves and I’m looking forward to it!

(3.5/5)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Broken Girls.

October 15, 2020 – Started Reading