Marcy's Reviews > Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult

Jul 02, 2012

"Lone Wolf" was better than I expected -- at the outset, the general set-up of the story made me fear it would be similar to her novel about the family and the humpback whales, which felt jilted in the narration with it's tampered chronology, and lacked a really intriguing plot.

"Lone Wolf" also features a family that has a father figure who, through his obsession with a specific type of animals, has done much to tear the family apart. However, that's really the biggest similarity between the two stories. This one gets interesting as the legal issues are drawn in regarding ending life support for a patient unlikely to recover from his injuries.

My only real complaints are that, between the shared perspectives that Picoult frequently uses in her novels, there's an extra character thrown in toward the end and whose perspective is utilized only twice -- I felt the story could have been told just as well without that -- and the fact that one legal issue is brought up, only to be discarded so a different one could be. I enjoy Picoult's books because they usually revolve around a trial with one legal question, and a second arises only if there's a twist in the proceedings for that initial question. This one plays out differently and isn't as enjoyable for me, as a result.

Still, it's a good story. I'd recommend it to folks who have enjoyed most other Picoult stories.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Wolf.

Quotes Marcy Liked

Jodi Picoult
“Scars are just a treasure map for pain you've buried too deep to remember.”

Jodi Picoult
“The real power of a wolf isn't in its fearsome jaws, which can clench with fifteen hundred pounds of pressure per square inch. The real power of a wolf is having that strength, and knowing when not to use it.”

Jodi Picoult
“I wonder if what makes a family a family isn't doing everything right all the time but, instead, giving a second chance to the people you love who do things wrong.”

Jodi Picoult
“This is what I like about photographs. They're proof that once, even if just for a heartbeat, everything was perfect.”

Jodi Picoult
“Because hate's just the flip side of love. Like heads and tails on a dime. If you don't know what it feels like to love someone, how would you know what hate is? One can't exist without the other.”