K.D. Absolutely's Reviews > 90 Classic Books for People in a Hurry

liked it
bookshelves: comics, funny
Recommended for: Jzhunagev
Read from July 02 to 05, 2012 — I own a copy

Herink Lange is a Swedish comic strip artist. He read 90 classic books and he summarized each book into 4 illustrated squares with short, witty texts. The books include thick ones like Ulysses, One Hundred Years of Solitude, The Holy Bible, In Search of Lost Time, The Golden Notebook and the whole trilogy of The Lord of the Rings. For you to fully appreciate the book, it is better if you've read many of them. The reason is that imagine you've spent days, weeks or months reading a certain book and then this crazy but brilliant comic artist was able to give the gist in just 4 comic frames! Impossible, right?

No, it is not. I counted the books I've read out of his 90. I have read 43 of those. I went over them and more often than not, he made good sense and he even made me laugh out loud! I thought I would find this book pretentious and almost sacrilegious (since I hold some of those books close to my heart like "Ulysses" and "One Hundred"). However, I found his spins and interpretations funny and I found myself laughing instead of being irritated and disgusted! I Googled hoping to give you a sample but I found only the ones written in original Swedish language like this one for "LOTR":
LOTR
Translation:1st Frame: "Frodo is a hobbit that finds a magic ring that rules the world. But it is evil so he has to get rid of it."; 2nd Frame: Seems like every bad thing in Middle Earth is after him but he seems to get out of it; 3rd Frame: So Frodo finds his way to Mt. Doom and the ring finds its way into the fire and the world is safe again. Could make a good movie, no?"
This one is not really funny but I just wanted to show you how he was able to condense everything in just those 3 frames. An example of the funny one, for me, is "Dracula"
draculaTranslation:1st Frame: "Jonathan Harker is sent to Transylvania for a business deal with Dracula. He is locked up but eventually escapes Dracula's castle."; 2nd Frame: "Dracula makes his way to London to woo Mina, Harker's fiance, and turns the town upside down. Harker and crazy scientist Van Helsing chase Dracula back to Transylvania and kill him."; 3rd Frame: Harker and Mina are married and have a pointy tooth little baby. Perhaps Mina has some explaining to do."
Actually, the one where I laughed the loudest was Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude but I could not find it and I have given you two already so giving you other might be too much spoiler. I suggest that if you find this funny, you grab yourself a copy of the book. It will take you probably only 30 mins to finish the whole thing and you will be able to catch up with your 2012 Reading Challenge hehe.

If you have read many well-known classic books and you want to see how much you remember about them and see how one crazy Swedish artist put a spin on them, give this book a try. What a relief from reading all these serious literary books. And I know that Lange is not bluffing. I know he actually read those books. Otherwise, he would not be able to thing about those funny and witty remarks!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 90 Classic Books for People in a Hurry.

07/19/2016 marked as: read

Regine I've actually read this book. It's quite funny. I enjoyed the illustrations. This is what I would call a really good bathroom book.

K.D. Absolutely Haha. Did you finish the whole book during one bathroom session?

Kwesi 章英狮 Haha. I want a copy of this book!

message 4: by Jinky (new)

Jinky Wow, sounds like a fun book! Too bad you're far away ..sure would have loved to borrow it. :(

I'll have to keep my eye out for it ..though I ought get more classics under my belt first. :D

message 5: by Andre (new) - added it

Andre Odysseus I really want to read this Book and it sounds really funny! Great review. Just a little thing, the pictures you put in your review are not swedish but in portuguese :)