Rachael's Reviews > The Mothers

The Mothers by Brit Bennett

I put this on my reading list after I finished "The Vanishing Half." TVH has been my favorite novel this year, and "The Mothers" did not disappoint. This was a wonderful audiobook. The action and expert descriptions held my interest all the way through. Bennett has such a visual way of writing; it's very easy for me to see the characters and their actions. One moment sticks out to me. Nadia's boyfriend comes to her father's house with her on a visit back home. The father gives the boyfriend a tour of the house, where they stop in a room and both stuff their hands into their jeans pockets. It seems like a little thing, but adds a level of reality that makes the book sing.

I enjoyed the various concepts of motherhood represented in the novel: the church "mothers" who oversee and comment on everything; the different forms of motherhood between Nadia and Aubrey; the different types of mothers Nadia and Aubrey have; and the behavior of the mother of the main male character, Luke. The story is multi-layered and multidimensional.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mothers.

September 27, 2020 – Started Reading