Novels On The Run's Reviews > Pushing the Limits

4119908
Jul 01, 2012

bookshelves: fave-books

MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

RATING : 6/5 BRILLIANTLY WRITTEN STARS!!

Dear Katie McGarry,

Your words , your characters, had me crying, more than once, this book felt very real. The characters, their voices, touched my soul deeply when I was reading. Noah’s voice was written with such maturity. On more than one occasion he made me want to shake the system that is in place with some Foster Care kids. It just isn’t fair for the ones that get caught in a net that labels them.

Life tilts for kids like Noah and his brothers and it tears families apart. Noah was such a heartbreaking joy to read, his little brothers made me want to grab my kids and hang on. The outer shell Noah has constructed to hide behind was painful to read but so well written. He has lost so much, but he is a fighter, and once his layers were peeled back, a most endearing human. I absolutely adored his character.

Echo is a character that felt like an open wound that was trying to heal itself. She has no memory of her incident with her mother, her dearly loved brother Aires is dead, and she is scarred for life and trying to find answers. What you did to me with her story........

My heart bled for Noah , Echo, Beth and Isaiah. These characters are so 3 dimensional. They have depth and courage and a lot of pain and heartache. On the outside they appear one way , on the inside they are hurting and taking each day as it comes. Beth really grew on me. Isaiah is such a sweetie with a tough exterior, I loved his passion for the corvette.

Mrs Collins, oh to have more people like her in this world. She is an awesome caring character who was beautifully written. Her intelligence and understanding, and bedside mannerisms were a joy to read. She had that ‘IT’ factor needed to council these kids.

When a boy who just wants to keep his family together and a girl who has been so traumatised she has shut down, are pushed together, the results made me cry and feel all kinds of emotion. This story rocked me to the core.

For a debut author, you made a huge entrance into the literary world, your words are very powerful and I am not ashamed to say, they unhinged me. This is a story that will not go away for a very long time.

My fave scenes were the hamburger scene, the fountain scene and Mrs Collins taking Noah to see something special ( get the Kleenex).

Thank you so much for writing this book, it tore me up in many places but what a pleasure to read such a well written story.

This is one of the best YA reads I have read this year. I think I fell in love with a book.

Michelle

MARISSA'S REVIEW:

Katie McGarry pulls out all stops and delivers a powerful, emotionally charged teen romance that will appeal to readers of all ages. It packs punches from so many angles and yes......I CRIED! Not just a tear escaping down my cheeks.....but a steady evacuation of my tear ducts and a silent sob or two.

Echo Emerson and Noah Hutchins are our focus characters in this powerful tale. Both have had fairly comfortable lives in the past...only to be thrust into despair, heartache, violence and self emotional torture.

Echo has been dealt heavy blows with the death of her beloved brother Aires, the demise of her parent's marriage and a horridly traumatic event involving her and her mum....only she can't remember what happened - and no-one is telling. The only reminder she has are the horrible scars on her arms and the knowledge that her mum was responsible. Oh yeah...and being ostracised from the IT crowd at school kinda sucks as well!

All Echo wants is to repair Aires '65 Corvette - she might just feel whole again after losing him. But she must break down brick wall barriers her father has built in order to accomplish this one small thing. Not to mention allow her mind to let her remember what happened that night her world came crashing down around her.

Noah exists in a welfare system that has created a safe haven for his brothers....but ripped him out of their lives and into the unfortunate downside of the foster system. He is determined to claw his way back and reclaim his brothers - convinced that he is their best hope at a good life.

Noah and Echo are thrust together by their school counselor - a move that sparks some amazing feelings and creates a bond and love that will be tested, prodded and pulled in all directions.

All characters involved in this story are great to read. None are plonked there for their word count - they all play important roles in the lives of Echo and Noah.

We read in alternating views from Noah and Echo. Katie has pulled this style off brilliantly. I never felt like "oh, I want more Echo" or "oh, I want more Noah"..... Katie fed the story to us in the right amount of portions that made for a satisfied reader at the end!

To say I enjoyed this tale is an understatement...it not just entertained me....it captured me.

Marissa

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pushing the Limits.

July 1, 2012 – Shelved
July 8, 2012 – Started Reading
July 9, 2012 –
page 201
51.28% "LOVING THIS BOOK!! I can't even begin to express all the emotions. Noah, you are making me cry!!"
July 9, 2012 – Finished Reading
July 10, 2012 – Shelved as: fave-books

Jennifer Lane Excellent review, Michelle. I own this book and you make me want to read it!

Michelle  novelsontherun Thanks Jennifer:D It is a book that I think you will love too!!

Michelle

Kristy McRae Great review! I'm almost done with this one myself, and I'm SOOO in love with these characters! I read A LOT of YA fiction (I work in the kids' dept of a local bookstore, so it's homework!) and this is one of the best I've read for a long time. For a first-time author, all I can say is WOW! I can't wait to read more by this talented lady!

Novels On The Run Hi Kristy,

Aww this book just undoes me. I have just read Beautiful Disaster and that is brilliant too, but I think an older maybe New Adult audience due to content, but WOW!! I am sitting here trying to figure out how to write the review, my brain is buzzing!

Hershey Lovely review! I liked this book a lot!

Novels On The Run Hersheys wrote: "Lovely review! I liked this book a lot!"

Thanks Hersheys:D