Asha Seth's Reviews > The Wolf and The Water

The Wolf and The Water by Josie Jaffrey

it was ok
bookshelves: 2020, thrillers, review-books, historical

First of all, I expected a lot from this book because of the title and cover. Clearly, both were deceiving. That was a huge put off. There are no real wolves; unless of course you think of it metaphorically. The cover was an instant hit. And I was thoroughly disappointed that it did not deliver what it promised.

The mystery of Kala's father's murder was the only thing that kept me hooked, and that too wasn't satisfying in the end. I expected more meat around the what and why and how. Because I really enjoy a good 'whodunnit' novel and those parts lacked the prominence they deserved. Another put down was the love triangle between two of the main characters. Love triangles don't work for me; especially if romance isn't one of the main themes of the book. So that really felt forced.

The setting was another aspect that felt good, since it was rooted in Greek mythology although none of the known gods and goddesses had a mention. I guess bringing in some of those familiar names from ancient greek mythology would have sustained the interest better.

The plot felt too dense, and overly narrated; at least the initial 70 odd pages. The build up went on for far too long, and the actual story too forever to start. That, IMO, is enough to have anyone DNF the book. There were too many awkward terms introduced all at once, and I couldn't even remember what was what. That certainly marred my reading experience.

The characters, some of them were strong. The protagonist, Kala, seemed determined to unearth her father's murder plot and scheming. Charis, Kala's mother, felt like a side-character with hardly any role to play. Kala's friend, Melissa, was sweet and friendly. Leon felt like a loveable character. I'm sure he'll have a yet better role to play in the future books in this series. In totality, the characters felt devoid of emotions, considering the tragedies they are introduced to right at the start.

Overall, I am not sure if I would have read this book if not for that one hook of mystery the plot cast on me.

The Wolf and The Water is a historical young-adult fiction with undertones of mystery, queer romance, politics, etc. There are other serious themes in focus here such as sexual assault, parental abuse, slavery, violence, racism, etc.; much like Game of Thrones. So if you love those kind of stories, this is the book for you. I would not recommend it to someone looking for a light yet thrilling fantasy read, because this is dystopian in all sense.
I received an ARC for The Write Reads blog tour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wolf and The Water.

October 14, 2020 – Started Reading