Samantha Lazar's Reviews > Illuminated Poems

Illuminated Poems by Allen Ginsberg

Oct 22, 2008

bookshelves: poetry

The pictures in this book are so bold and catching. The pictures represent each poem very well. The poems are also great, and I will probably use some of them next week when I start poetry with my students.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Illuminated Poems.

message 1: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Edwardson So these poems are geared for older students?

Also, if the pictures inside are anything like the cover, I can see why they would be so engaging.

message 2: by Panagiota (last edited Dec 02, 2008 05:37PM) (new)

Panagiota I agree with you Lindsay. The cover does look enticing and hopefully the poems catch the attention of the students as well. What I've noticed about students is that if something doesn't catch their attention from the beginning of the book, then they are more likely to put the book down and not even bother. Even though this is a poetry book, it seems like the illustrations can capture the attention of the reader and go beyond just the poem and really get the bigger picture of the book as a whole. What also seems interesting from the book summary above is that this book contains old poems from the 1940s to present day. It'd be interesting to compare writing styles and to see if time has had any effect on the readers.

Samantha Lazar Some of the pictures in the book are for a more mature audience. When you see it, you'll know exactly what I mean.