Julesmarie's Reviews > The Dangers of Fairy Compacts

The Dangers of Fairy Compacts by Katey Hawthorne

Jul 01, 2012

bookshelves: m-m, fantasy, free, dritc-liaw
Read in July, 2015

FIRST RE-READ 29 July 2015
Just finished my first re-read of this because there's now a #3! And I love that I still loved this just as much as I did the first time through. I still just adore Aeron, his sass and his snark are delightful. On to re-read #2!

Some Favorite Quotes:
How to express the sheer, unmitigated horror in this limited tongue?

(she never ate carcass, thankfully)

It was comforting to think something good had come of it... but it should be theirs.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 4 July 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this story! I loved that there were elements that I'd not ever seen before:
--magic has a smell, and every magical being has a unique scent to their magic
--the feelers on the ends of Aeron's wings that help him detect scents

I also loved the way elements I'd seen before were described or handled in delightful new ways:
--Aeron's wings
--Aeron helping Tam communicate more effectively with the trees
--the bonding spell, and how they'd been hearing each others' voices in their heads for the past 20 years
--Tam's fear that the bonding spell somehow took away Aeron's free will
--Aeron's vegetarianism, and how he refers to animals in food as corpses or carcass--I do the same thing, so it cracked me up!

LOVED all of those things. I loved feeling like I was in a world that felt fresh and new and exciting and that I'd not been there before.

While it was fascinating that so much attention was given to how things smelled, I wish more attention were given to how things looked. I wish I were able to picture what Tam's house looked like, or what the forest looked like. The only place that I have even a vague idea of is Kamala's house and the "room made of books." I LOVED how that was described.

Overall, I loved this story, and I'm excited by the hints that there will be more of Tam and Aeron in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dangers of Fairy Compacts.