Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > A Dark and Secret Place

A Dark and Secret Place by Jen Williams

it was ok
bookshelves: 2020, arc, disappointing, netgalley, not-for-me, thriller

A serial killer is targeting young women. After he kills them, he arranges flowers onto the corpses. He cares more about them dead than alive. The gruesome discoveries mimicked the same pattern once used by serial killer, Michael Reave, the Red Wolf. Yet, Michael is in prison, so who is killing them?

Heather Evans comes back home after her mother commits suicide. She’s saddened by her loss despite not being close to her mother. She left home when she was sixteen.

While cleaning her mother’s things, Heather makes a discovery. She discovers correspondence between her mother and the famous serial killer the Red Wolf. She doesn't understand her mother's connection with him and she starts investigating her mother's past. A past she might not want to find out after all.

I hate to say it but I didn’t enjoy this one. Not sure if it was the slow delivery or it was because I didn’t think that the characters were interesting enough.

In my opinion, something was lacking with the premise.

Cliffhanger: No

2/5 Fangs

A complimentary copy was provided by Crooked Lane Books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dark and Secret Place.

October 12, 2020 – Shelved
November 14, 2020 – Shelved as: disappointing
November 14, 2020 – Shelved as: netgalley
November 14, 2020 – Shelved as: not-for-me
November 14, 2020 – Shelved as: thriller

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review Happy Reading Sheyla

Sheyla ✎ ❤️ Paulette Alphas Review wrote: "Happy Reading Sheyla"

thank you, Paulette.

❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review Sheyla ✎ wrote: "❤️ Paulette Alphas Review wrote: "Happy Reading Sheyla"

thank you, Paulette."

💋Pleasure Sheylaツ

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Ugh, thanks for the warning Sheyla :)

message 5: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Uh oh! I have this coming up! 🥶

Michael David Great review, Sheyla! I agree. It just wasn't good.

message 7: by Farrah (new)

Farrah I am soooo thankful I wasn't approved for this! Too many disappointing reviews 🙂

Sheyla ✎ Dorie - Cats&Books :) wrote: "Ugh, thanks for the warning Sheyla :)"

I know, I hate that it wasn't good.

Sheyla ✎ Christina wrote: "Uh oh! I have this coming up! 🥶"
I'm sorry, Christina.

Sheyla ✎ Michael wrote: "Great review, Sheyla! I agree. It just wasn't good."

I know :(

Sheyla ✎ Farrah wrote: "I am soooo thankful I wasn't approved for this! Too many disappointing reviews 🙂"

It's sad that we only didn't love it. You save yourself from it.

preoccupiedbybooks Such a shame, this sounded so good! I will still give my copy a try, but with lower expectations I guess! 🤗

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Robinson Great review Sheyla, I think I will pass on this one, too many reviews like yours, too bad since it seemed like a great concept, just not well executed 🤷🏼‍♀️

Susan Z Great review. This one definitely fell flat.

Sheyla ✎ preoccupiedbybooks wrote: "Such a shame, this sounded so good! I will still give my copy a try, but with lower expectations I guess! 🤗"
Yes, having a low expectation can help. I hope it is better for you.

Sheyla ✎ Jennifer wrote: "Great review Sheyla, I think I will pass on this one, too many reviews like yours, too bad since it seemed like a great concept, just not well executed 🤷🏼‍♀️"

I agree with you, Jeniffer.

Sheyla ✎ Susan Z wrote: "Great review. This one definitely fell flat."

Sure did, Susan.

message 18: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Sorry this wasn't more enjoyable, Sheyla. I hope you love your next book!

Sheyla ✎ Meredith wrote: "Sorry this wasn't more enjoyable, Sheyla. I hope you love your next book!"
Thank you, Meredith.

message 20: by Javier (new)

Javier So glad I was declined! Sorry you didn’t enjoy it. Great review!

Sheyla ✎ Javier wrote: "So glad I was declined! Sorry you didn’t enjoy it. Great review!"