Linda's Reviews > 84, Charing Cross Road

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

Oct 22, 2008

bookshelves: armchair-travel, favorites-over-the-years

A gentle read, a perfect read. I KNOW that I've read this book before, decades ago. I found this particular copy through interlibrary loan and as luck would have it I was given the 1970 edition which is absolutely the best. The book languished amidst a pile of 'things to do', I finally looked at the date and realized it was overdue and if I wanted my favorite librarians to continue catering to my increasing demands (goodreads.com has a way of opening up the world) I had better stay in their good graces. A cup of tea, some quiet time and, as I stated, a perfect read.

I love the correspondence over the years (post-war England 1949 to 1969)between the fine-mannered Frank Doel and staff of Marks & Co 84, Charing Cross Road and New York author Helen Hanff.

My house is overflowing with books, I have vowed never to buy another one; yet I would love to find the exact same edition as the one beside me. It is so small and could easily fit in anywhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 84, Charing Cross Road.

Trevor Ah, a fellow addict.

Linda Definitely ... and I just read your comment on Lynda's review of same, which caused me to read Lynda's review and made me wonder why I haven't yet picked up a copy. I'm in Portland, Oregon, home of Powell's Books ... on my way to a meet the author event - Alexandra Fuller - and will search the shelves for Helene Hanff's charming masterpiece. Thanks for your reviews and comments, Trevor.