Ari's Reviews > Pivot Point

Pivot Point by Kasie West

bookshelves: favorites, best-of, alternating-pov, by-color-gray-ish

I really have a hard time believing that I will be able to sit still and wait a whole year for my favorite part of this story. I am even scared. I saw Addie fall in love 2 times (and I loved both love stories – well, one more than the other) and now I expect the next ‘beginning’ to be just as sweet.
I know, this is not the way to start my review, but how do you expect me to focus on writing when the ending hit me with the force of a hurricane?

I LOVE(D) this story.
I loved Addie, I loved her friendship with Laila, I loved both love-stories, I loved how fun the writing was and how emotionally invested I got (without even noticing until I fell deeply in love with this book).

COVER:

It is so beautiful and I love how it shows the reflected futures, even though I wish the girl had curly hair in one side and a stripe of blue in the other.

CONCEPT:

A tiny world inside our world, with supernatural people and their supernatural powers and advanced technologies? A girl that needs to choose a path and that can see both futures in the need to figure out her choice? An unusual love triangle, that it is not even that but two swoon-worthy love stories, that could pin you in place reading and reading and doing nothing more than reading? I’ve been having a hard time finding a book to read in the past few weeks, but this beauty here reminds me of why I love reading so damn much!

“One person can’t change the future. Do you know how many people and things are involved in every major event that happens? Sure, you might be able to change some of the minor aspects of a day, but ultimately things that are going to happen, if you go along a certain path, do happen.”

MAIN CHARACTER:

Addie is great. She is strong, she is smart, she is cute.. She is a great friend and even with her flaws she is a great person. She cares about her loved ones, she cares about doing things right, she would do whatever it takes to keep things in place even when it can cost her her own heart and happiness (and safety).

Addie has to make a big decision and it is not about what parent to choose or what boyfriend, it is about so much more.. I am a bit cryptic, but really I don’t want to spoil anything for you.

I could understand her insecurities, her need to be ‘someone’, to not be defined by her powers; her need to be loved and to love; her need to save (friendships, her heart, even someone’s life). There were so many things happening in her life, it is hard for me to pick one that defined her. I usually get annoyed by the main character and their choices, but this was so not the case. Even when my heart was screaming for her not to do a particular thing, my mind (the traitor!) understood her, approved of her actions.

“It was hard when I knew I was about to be flooded with memories of a life I hadn’t lived yet. Really, two lives I hadn’t lived yet.”

FRIENDSHIP:

Laila was the best and the funnies friend ever.
I loved their little chats, their encouragements, their teasing, the way they tried to help each other. I almost got my heart broken at some point, but I was glad to quickly gather the missing pieces and put them back together.
Also I loved their friends, their interaction, the way their stories overlapped in the 2 version of the future. I loved to see that Addie and Laila made similar decisions when not influenced by the others. What can I say, it was all such a fun ride!

LOVE:
This is what I would have loved to read for Valentine’s. There are 2 different love stories and up until some point they were both so sweet and cute and giggle-inducing that I should be ashamed for loving them so much.

First we have Duke – the beginning of their relationship was the best. I laughed so much because he was so funny and together they were the cutest couple (Note to self: I loved it when he brought that movie to her house). Even though they had almost nothing in common and Addie usually didn’t like “obvious” boys, they did get along very well and made me laugh more than not.

Then we have Trevor – their story started slower and it was a lot more complicated. He was not the golden boy, but (and maybe even because of that) if I could pick one guy for some reason it would always be him.. (Note to self: I loved the zombie notes). They started as friends and developed into so much more. And I don’t want to influence you in any way, so I’ll keep quiet now.

Or not so quiet after all.
I won’t tell you what choice did Addie make, but looking back I think it was the right one. (view spoiler) I can’t wait to see how all this will play out in the next book and I hate book series because my patience is running low and also because I am afraid that maybe I won’t love the next book just as much. And this one was perfect.
I got to fall in love twice in the same story, and there was no cliché love triangle, and you know how much I enjoy seeing people fall in love – it’s my favorite part of every story (and the thought that I might get my 3rd love story in the next book makes me so excited that I might develop a superpower myself: noting special, just that my excitement might become a bit too contagious).

CONCLUSIONS:

So I was wrong, I didn’t know who the Mood Controller really was, but I was close enough because I knew who the bad guy was (and those 2 things are closely related). I still wonder about some things – like how could someone fake a super-power and also the secondary plot about the football players was never fully revealed and explained, but we will have enough time in the next installment for that.

All I an left to say is that this book has really made my day.
Yes, in fact I had a horrible day and it cheered me up in a heartbeat – it made me smile, it made me dream, it made me giggle like a kid, it made me swoon, it made me hope.. and also it made me hate the brief ending because I wanted so much more. 2014, please come faster!

Happy midnight reading!

* This review can also be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pivot Point.

July 1, 2012 – Shelved
February 15, 2013 – Started Reading
February 15, 2013 –
50.0% "Mood controller, huh? I think I might know who that is ;)) BTW, I love this story so far!"
February 15, 2013 –
55.0% "Maybe I'll change my mind later (or I'll get my heart broken), but for now my favorite is Trevor. I confess, in the beginning all signs hinted to Duke, but I like complications and that path is a bit too easy for me to take."
February 15, 2013 –
70.0% "I'm a big fan of overlapping and I enjoy these 2 versions of the future and how the characters get to be part of them both :D"
February 15, 2013 –
85.0% ""promise me you won't Erase me" .. oh, do you hear my heart breaking? I have a bad feeling, yes I do. So, if you see read me cry in the ending, be assured that she picked the wrong path :("
February 15, 2013 –
100.0% "Come freaking on!!! Do you expect me to sit and wait for my happy ending for a whole damn year now?"
February 16, 2013 – Finished Reading
February 18, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: best-of
December 4, 2013 – Shelved as: alternating-pov
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-gray-ish

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

CatchTheseWords This book sounds so awesome. Let me know if it's worth it when you're done :)

message 2: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Oh, I loved it so I assume that it is worth it.
Hope that you'll enjoy it just as much!

CatchTheseWords Added it to my to read list :)

message 4: by Mig (new) - added it

Mig Can't wait for your review! :)

CatchTheseWords I'm reading it now, it's great!

message 6: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Glad to hear that. Have fun with it!

CatchTheseWords I did, I can't wait for the next book

message 8: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna I really liked your reviews! You have a way of convincing me. :)

message 9: by Ari (last edited Mar 11, 2013 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Anna C. wrote: "I really liked your reviews! You have a way of convincing me. :)"

Thanks, Anna, I hope you will like the book as well, otherwise please don't hold it against me, LOL! Happy reading ;)

message 10: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna No I won't! :)

Fanny Great review as always :)

message 12: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Fanny wrote: "Great review as always :)"

Thanks, Fanny! I am glad that you liked the book as well! ;)

message 13: by Sarina (new) - added it

Sarina Am not gonna read your review now, paying attention to your advice "to not read any reviews of a book so that I don't get spoiled or influenced heavily"...
but I did accidentally see the first line "Can someone please come and erase my memory such that I can fall in love again with this story in 2014?" and that you gave it 5 stars... Ok. Have a question: The book description hints at so many stuff woven into 1 story, time-travel, two romances, mystery, two POVs of same future self(I finally get it!), does it ever feel overwhelming?

message 14: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Nope, it's never overwhelming.

No spoiler-y gushing:
This is more romance than anything else, if I come to think of it and I am not complaining as I love love-stories. There is no actual time-travel, but seeing into the future, and there is also a bit of mystery (OK, maybe more than a bit). The characters are lovely and.. oh wait, did I tell you about the romance? There are two of them, but there is no actual love-triangle ~ which is again crazy to think of :))) And I already love Kasie West (the author) so I deeply recommend this book. I hope that you will enjoy it too :D

message 15: by Sarina (new) - added it

Sarina Deeply recommended? I need to find this book right away! Sad that no actual time-travel is present, but having visions of future? Hmm. No actual love-triangle.... this sounds like parallel universes.

I hope so too. ^__^