Mel's Reviews > The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 2009

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore

Jul 01, 2012

bookshelves: 21st-century-fiction, graphic-novel, queer
Read on July 01, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 2

I read this through very quickly the first time as I had spent the past year quite worried about what had happened to Mina. I loved that Harry Potter was the anti-christ. I can't believe that I didn't see that coming. Given the literary basis for this series it really was so obvious I feel almost ashamed for not figuring that out! Orlando was a much better character in this. She kinda had to pull everyone together and was much less frivilous. Mina did seem quite broken which was such a shame after the way she was in 69.

After having read it I decided to go back and read all three together. I definitely recommend reading them more than once and reading them all together. There were even more hints about Mr. Potter that I missed the first time and going back and reading things again I found I picked up on many more of the little details in the art work. Which I have to say was particularly amazing in 2009.

Having read the whole series again I think 1969 is definitely my favourite. Though this one is a close second. The first time I went to Kings Cross after reading this I found myself shuddering. The only thing I found disappointing in this was that I spend so much less time involved in popular culture than I do in Victorian literature I felt like I missed out on most of the references! Though I did love that there were a few Doctor Who ones! (and can't believe I missed the dalek the first time I read 1969).

The text at the end also makes a nice story when all three parts are read together. The knowledge of the patient and her circumstances make it all make much more sense and flow together really well.

Definitely one of Alan's best series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Sawan Very good review, you convey all your enthusiasm for the series. Cant wait to read this chapter...and hopefully more to come from Moore!

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel Thanks. I definitely enjoyed it :)