Jenny GB's Reviews > Billions & Billions: Thoughts on Life and Death at the Brink of the Millennium

Billions & Billions by Carl Sagan

Carl Sagan writes about many topics in this book, but manages to make them all readable and understandable. My favorites are his essays on exponential growth and decay, the universe, and abortion. He really clearly lays out his thoughts and makes hard to understand concepts reachable in science and mathematics. He makes what is probably the most logical argument I have ever read in the abortion debates about our need to decide what makes us human and determine at what point that happens. His short explanation of the history of abortion was enlightening (no, it never used to be a religious issue until recently). His arguments about the need to address global warming and the need to decrease nuclear arms are as timely now as they were 15 years ago. I am sad that our world has lost such a knowledgeable and persuasive man, but I am glad to know he has inspired so many others to follow in his footsteps. The world needs more intellectuals that don't blindly side with party lines, but look at facts and evidence. We need more people to stand up and honestly educate people about what is happening in our world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Billions & Billions.

Started Reading