Cristina's Reviews > GenderQueer: A Story from a Different Closet

GenderQueer by Allan D. Hunter

liked it

This was written by a former Los Alamos resident and much of the first half of the book, about his elementary, middle, and high school years, are set in LA. That and the topic interested me. I'm open to learning more about the variety of orientations and I guess genders? out there, and so I tried to read this. But ultimately I skimmed in in one sitting. The story is way too detailed about things unrelated to his gender discovery, like what the science assignment was and how to earn boy scout badges. Too much angst and navel gazing for me, but that is what he's doing with the book -- trying to figure himself out. He is insightful in his gazing and was terribly bullied throughout his whole school life for being different enough to be noticed. And he was super sensitive and feminist from a young age in a way rarely seen by men, which made all the male taunting and stereotyping that much harder for him. Good for Hunter for putting this out for the others off the spectrum of typical genders to relate to and for finally finding his peace with his label(s).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read GenderQueer.

Started Reading