Dan Schwent's Reviews > Batman, Volume 1: The Court of Owls

Batman, Volume 1 by Scott Snyder

bookshelves: comics, 2012, cool-covers

The Court of Owls, a long rumored secret society from Gotham's past, makes its presence known in the form of a knife wielding assassin called The Talon. Can Batman hope to defeat an enemy even more familiar with Gotham than him?

For my money, Scott Snyder can do no wrong. Batman: The Court of Owls is no exception. At first glance, the tale looks like a combination of Batman: The Black Glove and Batman: Gates of Gotham but it's a better story than either so far.

I really want to gush about this but I don't want to ruin any surprises. It's not every day a body is found with Dick Grayson's DNA under it's fingernails. It's not every day you see a killing machine taking the fight to Batman or Batman being trapped by villains for days.

One thing I really liked is that Scott Snyder isn't afraid to show us Batman isn't invincible. I hate how in recent years, Batman is portrayed as a combination of Captain America and Reed Richards instead of the World's Greatest Detective, as he should be. Snyder does a pretty good job of stripping away some of that. I can't see his Batman building a Brother-Eye satellite, for instance.

Snyder's writing is superb, as always. I can tell he draws from a deeper well than many comic authors, one filled with historical fiction and conspiracy thrillers. Greg Capullo's art is good too, I guess.

The Court of Owls is an easy 4. I may even bump it up to a 5 once the rest of the story is told.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman, Volume 1.

July 1, 2012 – Shelved
July 1, 2012 – Shelved as: comics
July 20, 2012 – Started Reading
July 20, 2012 –
page 20
July 22, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012
July 22, 2012 – Finished Reading
September 5, 2012 – Shelved as: cool-covers

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Shannon How is it?

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent StoryTellerShannon wrote: "How is it?"

Too soon to tell but I'm leaning toward "good but not as good as Black Mirror." I'm hoping to devour it today when I get some time.

Shannon Okay then.

Donovan I like your review, too. I didn't think about Bats' vulnerability/fallibility all that much but it makes sense.

Ronyell Awesome review Dan! I really enjoyed this book too!

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Thanks!

Ronyell Dan wrote: "Thanks!"

You're welcome!