Chantal's Reviews > It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life

It's Not About the Bike by Lance Armstrong

Oct 21, 2008

Recommended to Chantal by: Bret Gadberry
Read in October, 2008 , read count: 1

The strangest thing for me in reading this book was realizing that I was right in Paris when Lance won for the first time. I was eating at a restaurant with my grandparents when the Tour de France was going by. My grandfather, who doesn't speak a lick of French, was proudly trying to show off my French to the waitress...I had to say something about the Tour de France to her. He didn't realize that I could barely speak French. I kept praying that she would at least pretend she understood me, and thankfully she did.

The thing I most appreciated was reading about Lance's maturing from an impatient, feisty biker into a biker who had both brute strength and brains (i.e. strategy). I also enjoyed learning about the strategy of biking in general. I loved seeing how his friends and mother really supported him through his trials and his triumphs.

I agreed with his closing comments. Trials are sacred, and through them you learn about what you are made of. And I agree, I think there is often a lot more to us than we realize until we face life's tragedies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Not About the Bike.