Movies, Shows,'s Reviews > The Bone Carver

The Bone Carver by Monique Snyman

Actual star rating: 4 1/2 stars

Note: This Review contains NO spoilers

Welcome back for another round with Rachel Cleary against a new Miser Fae, the Bone Carver. Monique Snyman brings in part two of her Night Weaver series and it is hauntingly beautiful, mysterious, and non-stop suspense.

The Bone Carver gives power to its female characters, adds onto different side stories that were alluded to in the previous book, The Night Weaver , and is detailed in every chapter to send chills throughout the body. Snyman begins the book with Rachel already in an intense situation, the SAT. Despite having fought with the Night Weaver in the summer, she retains her usual school life and high achieving attitude. The pressure of having high goals and getting into a top-notch university, weighing on her shoulders, Rachel leaves for a break down in a rarely used restroom. And it is within these first moments that something seems amiss. In a bathroom stall, she finds an intricate carving of fellow classmate, Mercia Holstein, contorted in pain. The suspense in each chapter flows smoothly into the next and leaves me wanting to know what happens next.

The Bone Carver still includes favorite characters like Rachel’s cousin Dougal and Mrs. Crenshaw, but gives the spotlight to new more badass characters that we never got to see in the previous book. Such as Mercia is an old friend of Rachel’s who she fell out of touch with. She is a helpful ally in Rachel’s fight against the Bone Carver for her skills in magic and witchcraft. She’s snarky, guarded, and confident. The reader will also be formally introduced to Nova, Orion’s brother. Although he seemed intimidating and threatening in The Night Weaver he presents himself still rather reasonable and calm. But this doesn’t stop Rachel. This brings out Rachel’s courageous fighting spirit, as she punches the Fae ruler square in the face. The Bone Carver is as sadistic as his carvings are meticulous. Each character has some layer of depth and backstory that shows the reader how important they are.

The book is told in third person and follows Rachel from running around Shadow Grove to the basement of the old schoolhouse to the Fae Realm. There are different stories that coincide with Rachel and companies’ fight with the Bone Carver. And with all these details, Snyman cleverly writes in details that connect and builds up the story not only to the final villain but also foreshadows another book. The Night Weaver is an ever changing and growing world, that makes it difficult to drop my curiosity. Overall, I have few to no complaints for The Bone Carver . The worst I can say is that the wording is a bit odd in some chapters that made me pause and reread the sentence.

Reviewer: Mariah
Disclaimer: We received a free copy for an honest review. All is my own opinion
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Carver.

October 1, 2020 – Started Reading