Meredith's Reviews > Thirteenth Child

Thirteenth Child by Patricia C. Wrede

Jun 30, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: historical, mages-wizards-sorcerers, fantasy, non-medievalish-fantasy-world

While this book didn't have much in the way of an actual plot (like a magickified Little House on the Prairie), it was an easy read and interesting enough to keep me going. I enjoyed the historical fantasy aspect; and the magic system is clever in that there are actually 3 different systems, and they're more realistic than the snap-your-finger-say-a-magic-word I've seen in some books.

However, I'm still fairly confused on some things.

First of all, there were several things mentioned that I thought were going to be important later. I kept waiting for the book to allude to them again, but it never did.

-The first time Eff sees Miss Ochiba, it says, "I felt a jolt go through me. It was as if I recognized her, even though I'd never seen her before." Never again does the book mention this, even though I was certain it had to be foreshadowing some later revelation about Miss Ochiba.

-I was also expecting a romance that seemed obvious but never happened. It was hinted at once: "Is he sparking you?" "What? Of course not...He's only been back a week or two." "A week or two is plenty of time if you're of a mind to it." Again, important-sounding, but never mentioned again.

-Lan's illusion spells. Eff was worried about Lan, because she was sure that his spells really weren't illusions. And again, it seemed like foreshadowing to me, but evidently it wasn't.

It was as if Wrede had all these ideas she stuck into the story, but forgot to bring them up again and resolve them.

Also, I'm confused about (view spoiler) at the end. (view spoiler)

I give this book 3 1/2 stars, because it was clever and a light, easy read. However, I really would like to ask Wrede to clarify the ending for me, as well as why she randomly changed details of history that had no actual significance in the book. (I mean, Presidents Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Baier, Morton? The Civil War ending in 1838?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteenth Child.

June 30, 2012 – Shelved