Sahara Kelly's Reviews > Chasing Fire

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

Jun 30, 2012

I know that every now and again it becomes "fashionable" to knock Nora Roberts' books. To say they're formulaic, routine or repetitive. And yes, occasionally those complaints hold some merit. BUT - there is no getting around the fact that this lady works magic with words and characters. Are the plots predictable? Probably. Do I care? No. I don't care because Ms. Roberts writes characters that consistently come alive for me, leaping brightly from her pages with humor, reality and the desire to take up residence in my brain. Which they inevitably do. This story, Chasing Fire, is a classic example. Spunky heroine, handsome hero, threat hovering over them, all covered by the umbrella of this novel's backdrop - wildfires and the folks who fight them. As far as I can tell, Nora's research is spot on, although I've never been anywhere near a fire myself. After reading this book, I feel I have. And I fought one alongside Gull and Rowan, getting dirty and exhausted while watching them fall headlong in love with each other.

Like the song says, nobody does it better. This book whisked me off from my everyday routine and into the world of smoke jumping, physical fitness extraordinaire and people who go the extra mile for each other. It brought me into a place where passion burned every bit as hotly as the fires and where the frightening events unrolled naturally around Rowan, building a tense and taut plot which could only be resolved by a passage through fire!!

Seriously, my literary friends. Say what you will, but those of us who attempt to pen our own books can only stand and applaud this incredible lady. Her volume of work stands as testament to her ability to spin a tale. I'm hooked; I have "Witness" ready to roll, and look forward to more of the Boonsboro series. Yeah, I'm a fan. But Nora's no one-trick pony seventies pop group. She's a long-standing, respected creator of literary magic. She's an example for us all and her talent shines brightly. Long may she continue to entertain readers like me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chasing Fire.

message 1: by Melyssa (new) - added it

Melyssa Williams good review. My thoughts exactly! Is N.R. Dickens or Shakespeare? No. But she's fun and she does her research and her characters stay with you. She's always a good read. :)