Stacy's Reviews > The Year of Pleasures

The Year of Pleasures by Elizabeth Berg

Jun 30, 2012

Betta Nolan is recently widowed and feeling alone in the world. With no family, her husband had been the center of her universe and now in her mid-fifties she is set to embark on an adventure. She sells her home in Boston and buys a large Victorian home in a small town outside of Chicago. She chose the town at random and bought the house on a whim and she has her weak moments where she thinks she has made a big mistake. Betta is still grieving and by making a few new friends and finding old ones she is able to start healing.

Betta’s heartbreak was touching and I felt for her as she tried to let go of her old life and forge ahead with new dreams. It was easy to put myself in her place. I was proud of her for taking her friend’s advice to purposefully do something everyday that makes you happy. We should all take that advice.

I really liked this book. I’ve seen people compare Berg’s books to sitting down with an old friend and I agree. There is a familiarity in her writing that draws me in. I felt that way about this one, but it was not without faults. A few of the storylines were skipped over at the end and I felt a bit cheated out of knowing what happened. So, while this wasn’t my favorite Berg novel I did enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Year of Pleasures.