Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

bookshelves: 2020, audible, historical-fiction, heartbreak

"never pray to the gods that answer after dark.”

I hated the ending!

Why?

Because I'm a dreamer.

I had hoped the story would go in a different way (view spoiler)

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue had a provocative proposition.

Addie La Rae is a woman who from a young age knew she wanted her freedom. Freedom to live her life the way she wanted it. She didn't want to be like her friend Isabelle and get married and have children. No, Addie wanted more from life but when she is told she must marry, she runs to the woods and prays to the gods to help her. A mistake she will come to regret since who answers is none other than the Darkness. She strikes a deal with him and she will become immortal until she surrenders her soul.

"Then take my life when I am done with it. You can have my soul when I don't want it anymore."

Not too long after, Addie will begin to believe her immortality is a curse. No one will remember her. She will be there but a second later, she will be forgotten. Nothing will really belong to her for 300 years until she meets Henry.

Henry runs a book store in NYC in 2014. An encounter with Addie will make her hope for a new beginning. She is not sure how, but Henry is able to remember her.

"I remember you."

Yet, there is someone who has never forgotten her, the darkness himself, Luc. He has been with her every year. Is Addie ready to surrender?

“And there in the dark, he asks if it was really worth it.
Were the instants of joy worth the stretches of sorrow?
Were the moments of beauty worth the year of pain?
And she turns her head, and looks at him, and says 'Always.”

Was the writing beautifully done? Absolutely. V.E. Schwab did a marvelous job of bringing the characters to life. She perfected the pass of time emphasizing the ambiance during each time period. I was there with Addie when she was in Paris, Germany, Los Angeles, NOLA, and of course in NYC.

I still dream of a different ending.

Cliffhanger: No

4/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue.

October 7, 2020 – Shelved
October 7, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
November 17, 2020 – Started Reading
November 17, 2020 – Finished Reading
November 20, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020
November 20, 2020 – Shelved as: audible
November 20, 2020 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
November 20, 2020 – Shelved as: heartbreak

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

message 1: by marilyn (new)

marilyn Beautiful review, Sheyla...this sounds so sad 💗

message 2: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Sounds like a poignant read! Lovely review, Sheyla! 💔

Marielle Authier I feel the same about the ending.

Maria Rasimova I agree with you entirely. I loved Luc even in his worst moments. The open end makes me imagine that in time she will accept him the way he is and love him the way she can. They have eternity after all

Sheyla ✎ marilyn wrote: "Beautiful review, Sheyla...this sounds so sad 💗"
Thank you, Marilyn. I just wished for a different ending.

Sheyla ✎ Jayme wrote: "Sounds like a poignant read! Lovely review, Sheyla! 💔"

Thank you, Jayme.

Sheyla ✎ Marielle wrote: "I feel the same about the ending."

Glad I'm not alone in this,

Sheyla ✎ Maria wrote: "I agree with you entirely. I loved Luc even in his worst moments. The open end makes me imagine that in time she will accept him the way he is and love him the way she can. They have eternity after..."

I hope you are right. He deserved better.

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat It's too bad that the ending fell short for you. Lovely review, Sheyla!

Gloria I wanted a different ending too!

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Great review Sheyla. Can't comment on the ending because I haven't read this yet. ❤📚

message 12: by Tamar (new) - added it

Tamar Excellent review❤️ you have me intrigued! I'll read the spoiler after I read the book..

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Great review Sheyla, sorry the ending wasn't what you wanted :(

Farrah Really great review!! Very fair, which can be difficult when the characters don't get the ending you want for them 💕

Sheyla ✎ Kat wrote: "It's too bad that the ending fell short for you. Lovely review, Sheyla!"

Thank you, Kat.

Sheyla ✎ Gloria wrote: "I wanted a different ending too!"

YES!! We need it.

Sheyla ✎ Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "Great review Sheyla. Can't comment on the ending because I haven't read this yet. ❤📚"
Thank you, Sandy. Most people love the ending. So I'm in the minority.

Sheyla ✎ Tamar wrote: "Excellent review❤️ you have me intrigued! I'll read the spoiler after I read the book.."

Thank you!

Sheyla ✎ Dorie - Cats&Books :) wrote: "Great review Sheyla, sorry the ending wasn't what you wanted :("

Thank you, Dorie.

Sheyla ✎ Farrah wrote: "Really great review!! Very fair, which can be difficult when the characters don't get the ending you want for them 💕"
I know..LOL. Demanding readers :)

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael David Great review, Sheyla!

Sheyla ✎ Michael wrote: "Great review, Sheyla!"

Thank you, Michael.

Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill Great review Sheyla. Sorry it wasn’t what you had hoped for. Glad you enjoyed it for most of it!

Sheyla ✎ Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill wrote: "Great review Sheyla. Sorry it wasn’t what you had hoped for. Glad you enjoyed it for most of it!"

I did like it, I just wanted a different ending.

message 25: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina Skipping spoilers for now but happy to see you loved this! I’m reading it soon!

message 26: by Yun (new)

Yun Terrific review, Sheyla! So glad you enjoyed this even though you were hoping for a different ending! :)