megs_bookrack's Reviews > Madam

Madam by Phoebe Wynne

it was ok
bookshelves: arcs-read

When 26-year old, Rose Christie, gets hired on to teach Classics at the illustrious, Caldonbrae Hall, she's understandably nervous about the placement.

Caldonbrae, a traditional boarding school for girls, is a far cry from the public schools Rose has taught in previously. Indeed, from the start, she feels out of her element.

Her trepidation doesn't improve as classes begin. The young ladies treat her with contempt and an overall lack of respect.

She is astounded that such well-groomed girls would think it's okay to treat one of their teachers in such a way.

But it isn't even just the girls. Other teachers and staff barely give her the time of day. She's like an annoying gnat they all seem to want to swat away.

The longer Rose is there, the more confounding the whole experience seems to be.

As Rose slowly, and I do mean slowly, begins to put the pieces of the puzzle together, the shocking truth of Calonbrae Hall is revealed.

Y'all, the premise of this book had such promise. I wanted to love it. I expected to love it. Unfortunately for me, it fell flat.

The atmosphere was good. It did feel gothic, like the school was trapped in time.

Set on the cliffs of Scotland, it was cold and remote. While Rose was there, it felt like she was very far removed from the rest of the world; from anyone who could help her.

I was intensely interested in the beginning, for probably the first 20%, and I felt the last 15% was engaging as well. However everything in between was like watching paint dry.

There were so many details; so many. I just kept waiting and waiting for something to happen and it was like, the payoff never came.

I liked the ideas behind where the author was going, but the execution was a miss for me. I feel like it could have been edited down. Perhaps if it had been more concise, it could have been more impactful.

In other words, in this case, it's not the content, but how that content was presented that was the issue for me.

Additionally, I do think it is important to note that I listened to the audiobook. I think the narrator did a good job. Frankly, if I had read a hard copy, I may have been even more displeased with it.

With this being said, just because it didn't necessarily work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you. If the synopsis sounds interesting to you, absolutely give it a shot!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Macmillan Audio, for providing me with the opportunity to listen to this audiobook. I do appreciate it very much!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madam.

October 6, 2020 – Shelved
October 6, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
May 16, 2021 – Started Reading
May 26, 2021 –
20.0% "Ompf. I was wondering where this was heading.
This isn't good news for our protagonist."
May 27, 2021 –
May 27, 2021 –
95.0% "Darn it! I really wanted to finish this tonight, but then like, family and dinner and stuff...
Definitely wrapping it up first thing in the morning."
May 28, 2021 – Shelved as: arcs-read
May 28, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Laurie It's garbage. Campus novels are my favorite. This? Garbage.

megs_bookrack Laurie wrote: "It's garbage. Campus novels are my favorite. This? Garbage."
I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for you, Laurie. I am currently reading it :)

Michael David I'd prefer to watch paint dry if I had to do it all over again. LOL! Great review, Megs!

megs_bookrack Michael wrote: "I'd prefer to watch paint dry if I had to do it all over again. LOL! Great review, Megs!" Yeah, frankly, the chemistry of that does sound more intriguing than what was found in these pages ;)
Thank you, Michael!!