Peter Megyeri's Reviews > Slapstick

Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

This is a re-read for me. I've read this book so many times in translation so I gave it a go in its original language. There was nothing to be scared of because Vonnegut's genius is not in obscure sentences or too elaborate vocabulary. What I really liked about his writing is even more present in the original (which was not in question, rather whether I can understand it).

I continue to like this book really much and will continue to re-read all of Vonnegut's works in their original form.

(Also I hate the cover of this edition).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slapstick.

Quotes Peter Liked

Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
“Love is where you find it. I think it is foolish to go looking for it, and I think it can often be poisonous. I wish that people who are conventionally supposed to love each other would say to each other, when they fight, ‘Please – a little less love, and a little more common decency.”

Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
“I received the news of his death over a white, push-button telephone in my house in that part of Manhattan known as ‘Turtle Bay’. There was a philodendron nearby. I am still not clear how I got here. There are no turtles. There is no bay.”

Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
“They were innocent great apes, with limited means for doing mischief, which, in my opinion as an old, old man, is all that human beings were ever meant to be.”

Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
“Fascists are inferior people who believe it when somebody tells them they’re superior,’ she said. ‘Now, now –’ I said. ‘Then they want everybody else to die,’ she said.”

Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
“I know your father is waiting for me with open arms,’ she said, ‘and my Mommy and Daddy, too.’ She was right about that, it turned out. Waiting around for more people is just about all there is for People in Heaven to do.”

Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
“History is merely a list of surprises,’ I said. ‘It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again. Please write that down.”

October 5, 2020 – Started Reading