Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > One Day in December

One Day in December by Josie Silver

it was ok
bookshelves: 2020, audiobook, disappointing, romance

Can you fall in love with just a glimpse?

Laurie is on a bus when she stares at the green eyes of the young man at a bus stop. For a second, she believes he's going to jump into the closing doors of the bus to be with her but the second passes and as the bus retreats, she blows him a kiss.

For a full year, she looks for "bus boy", the man she is falling in love with. Then, her best friend, Sarah is throwing a party and she is bringing her boyfriend who she is madly in love with and you might guess who it is...yes busboy is Sarah's boyfriend, Jack.

Over the next decade, nothing is easy for this trio.

And now, my unpopular opinion ahead

Did I like Laurie? Absolutely. My huge problem was with Jack. The way he behaved with both women rubbed me the wrong way. He was hurtful to Laurie and I never felt like he demonstrated his love for her in a romantic way. I never believed she was his "100%" while Laurie was all in and pining for him for years. Where was his grand gesture?

In addition, Sarah, Amanda, and Oscar deserved better.

Lastly, I listened to some parts of the book and Jack came out as a womanizer, arrogant, selfish guy.

I know many loved this book but I'm not one of them. Disliking the main character in a romance book is a complete downer for me. How can I root for their happiness when I don't think the hero deserves this heroine?

Cliffhanger: No

2/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day in December.

October 5, 2020 – Shelved
October 5, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
November 5, 2020 – Started Reading
November 5, 2020 – Finished Reading
November 7, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020
November 7, 2020 – Shelved as: audiobook
November 7, 2020 – Shelved as: disappointing
November 7, 2020 – Shelved as: romance

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Kaceey Excellent review Sheyla. Sorry this one didn’t work for you. Good point! If I didn’t like the main characters I couldn’t cheer them on either.

Regina I love an unpopular opinion review! Nice one, Sheyla. On to the next!

message 3: by Emilia. (new)

Emilia. hi

message 4: by Tina (new)

Tina Sorry this one didn’t work for you Sheyla. I hope you fully enjoy your next book!

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) Sorry this didn't work for you, honest review :)

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael David Great, honest review! Hope your next book is much better!

Christina Great review, Sheyla. I liked this more than you did but I wonder if it is because it was an audiobook. The narrator made both characters very likable.

message 8: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Oh no! Such a bummer. Hopefully your next one is much better.

message 9: by ChOOzzz (new)

ChOOzzz Sorry this one wasn't a hit but hopefully your next one will be better!

Sheyla ✎ Kaceey wrote: "Excellent review Sheyla. Sorry this one didn’t work for you. Good point! If I didn’t like the main characters I couldn’t cheer them on either."
Thank you, Kaceey. Yes, it saddens me that I didn't like him. I love romance in books.

Sheyla ✎ Regina wrote: "I love an unpopular opinion review! Nice one, Sheyla. On to the next!"

Thank you, Regina.

Sheyla ✎ Tina wrote: "Sorry this one didn’t work for you Sheyla. I hope you fully enjoy your next book!"

Thank you, Tina.

Sheyla ✎ Dorie - Cats&Books :) wrote: "Sorry this didn't work for you, honest review :)"

Thank you, Dorie.

Sheyla ✎ Michael wrote: "Great, honest review! Hope your next book is much better!"

Sheyla ✎ Christina wrote: "Great review, Sheyla. I liked this more than you did but I wonder if it is because it was an audiobook. The narrator made both characters very likable."

Thank you, Christina. Part of the book, I did in audio but by then, I wasn't crazy about him.

Sheyla ✎ Megan wrote: "Oh no! Such a bummer. Hopefully your next one is much better."

Thank you, Meghan. I hope so too.

Sheyla ✎ ChOOzzz wrote: "Sorry this one wasn't a hit but hopefully your next one will be better!"

Thank you!!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Great review, Sheyla! Sorry to see this wasn't better for you!

Terrie Robinson I so admire your full out honesty in this review, Shayla! Great job!

Sheyla ✎ Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews wrote: "Great review, Sheyla! Sorry to see this wasn't better for you!"
I wish it had worked for me. So many loved it.

Sheyla ✎ Terrie wrote: "I so admire your full out honesty in this review, Shayla! Great job!"

Thank you, Terrie.

preoccupiedbybooks I totally agree Sheyla! I read this a while back and really disliked it 😭

Sheyla ✎ preoccupiedbybooks wrote: "I totally agree Sheyla! I read this a while back and really disliked it 😭"
Glad I'm not the only one who thought, Jack was a disaster.

message 24: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Brodehl This is pretty much one of the worst romances I’ve ever read 😂

Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill Oh noooo! I loved this one! So sorry it wasn't better for you! I have disliked many of well loved books too! Hope your next one is better!

Sheyla ✎ Jen wrote: "This is pretty much one of the worst romances I’ve ever read 😂"

It's probably one of the worst for me too.

Sheyla ✎ Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill wrote: "Oh noooo! I loved this one! So sorry it wasn't better for you! I have disliked many of well loved books too! Hope your next one is better!"

Thank you, Kim. We can't love them all. 🤷🏻‍♀️

message 28: by Yun (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yun Terrific review, Sheyla! I thought this one was just ok too.

Sheyla ✎ Yun wrote: "Terrific review, Sheyla! I thought this one was just ok too."