JudithAnn's Reviews > This Bright River

This Bright River by Patrick Somerville

4207502
Jun 29, 2012

Read in June, 2012

This is about thirty-something Ben, who returns to his childhood town to do up his deceased uncle's house with the intention to sell it. He meets a former class mate, Lauren, and they hook up together. Both of them have skeletons in their cupboards and in Lauren's case, her past comes back to her with a vengeance. There are a few thrilling moments when both their lives are in danger.

I had a mixed reading experience with this book. Sometimes I found the story compelling and I wanted to read on, while at other times I was bored.

I enjoyed reading about Ben arriving in his childhood town, getting to know the place (again) and the people. But there were memories that I didn’t care about intermixed with this story. Later on in the book, it becomes a thriller for a while, which was all rather exciting.

As the book is told by both Ben and Lauren, the perspective shifts every so often, which I like. I love reading events and situations from different perspectives or, like in this case, the story often continued through the alternating narrators.

It was clear from the moment Lauren joined the narrative, that she would be involved with Ben in some way or another. At first, their lives were very much separate and when they did meet, Lauren showed no interest in Ben whatsoever. So the foreshadowing made me curious to see how they would end up in the same story line.

Most loose ends are tight up at the end of the story and overall, I enjoyed it. Both Ben and Lauren have a past that comes to haunt them, and when that happens, the book certainly gains pace and becomes quite compelling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Bright River.

04/26 marked as: read