Jayati Deshmukh's Reviews > The Midnight Library

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

Wow, it's an amazing book with a very unique storyline!

In the beginning, it is a bit slow and glum, and I'm happy I didn't leave the book at that point. Actually the story is just building up initially.

The lead of the story, Nora, is just tired of her life and her life is filled with regrets. On a particularly bad day when a lot of things turn out badly for her, she just loses hope and meaning to live and decides to take her own life.

However, there's a twist and that's where the book begins. Between life and death, she reaches a library, where there are infinite books where every book is a version of her life from the current point onwards. She can choose any book and try out a different life! And come back to the library when a particular life is too much for her and try another one.

This part makes an interesting read and we understand many aspects of Nora's personality and life, like her dreams and ambitions, her family and friends, her personal and professional life. And while experiencing multiple Nora's lives, even we have many lessons to learn on the way. It highlights the importance of following one's dreams rather than someone else's dreams. It shows that a life with name, fame or money might not always be how we thought it would be. Sometimes how small and insignificant things in our opinion, might turn out to be so important. It shows the importance of meaning, direction and hope in life. And finally, most importantly, that we are the sailors of our life and we can always change the direction where we are heading! We might not always get what we expected but we have the power to choose what we should do next.

The book has some nice lines, which are quote worthy, some of my favorites are:
* "Sometimes the only way to learn is to live."
* "And there is no right way to play; there are many ways. In chess, as in life, possibility is the basis of everything."
* "If you aim to be something you are not, you will always fail. Aim to be you."
* "In becoming everyone, you are becoming no one."
* "It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see."
* "We don’t have to do everything in order to be everything, because we are already infinite."

Also, it has a great ending!

Overall, it's a thought-provoking book which makes us ponder on our lives. Ofcourse it has some sadness and despair but it also highlights the transformative power of being oneself! It touches on #MentalHealthAwareness so well!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnight Library.

Started Reading