Carl's Reviews > Animating the Letter: The Figurative Embodiment of Writing from Late Antiquity to the Renaissance

Animating the Letter by Laura Kendrick

Oct 20, 2008

No time for a long review right now, but just finished racing through this book (might have left a bit out). A very nice look at the way in which medieval books were made to compensate for the absence of the authoritative speaker which inevitably comes through literacy. Unfortunately it will take some stretching to keep this relevant for my work, since the manuscripts I'm working with are very sparely illuminated, but many bits of her argument have really gotten me thinking about my thesis. I'm really surprised she didn't do anything with Steven Nichols' 1989 article on the Textual Unconscious in illuminated manuscripts, as they were dealing with very parallel problems, but from reading her book it seems clear she's never read Nichols' article (though I'm sure she's familiar with Nichols' role in New/Material Philology).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animating the Letter.