Matthew's Reviews > A Wizard of Earthsea

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin

bookshelves: to-read, sf

This book drew me in early on and then gripped and seized me until I was done. It follows the early life of the wizard Sparrowhawk (one does not utter a wizard's true name lightly), briefly recounting his childhood and then more time on his training, and then the dire quest that sets him forth through much of the Archipelago of Earthsea. This quest is his alone, for he himself unleashed a darkness that he alone can vanquish. Unlike so much high fantasy, this darkness will not destroy the earth. If Sparrowhawk fails, there will be terrible consequences, but the world will not be consumed in fire or flood. Part of what makes the quest aspect of the second half appealing is the fact that Sparrowhawk does not necessarily know where he is meant to go.

So much for an unrevealing plot synopsis. I like the book too much to spoil the plot for the curious!

I am enamoured of Le Guin's style in this book. From the first it reads like a folktale. You feel like you are sitting around a fire listening to someone tell you the story. It is beguiling.

I also like the way magic works here. It requires power on the part of the mage, but also knowledge of the true name of something. Names bear power in Earthsea.

You also get a sense of there being different cultures throughout the Archipelago as well as ethnicities. Moreover, I think this is a technologically bronze age fantasy. Pretty rare. Most are thoroughly faux-mediaeval.

I look forward to The Tombs of Atuan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wizard of Earthsea.

June 29, 2012 – Shelved
March 20, 2014 – Shelved as: sf
Started Reading
May 5, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 6, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Janna (new)

Janna One of my favourites! The Tombs of Atuan is the best of that series, in my opinion. I hope you love it!