Kristal Cooper's Reviews > First Cameraman: Documenting the Obama Presidency in Real Time

First Cameraman by Arun Chaudhary

Jun 28, 2012

bookshelves: library

Ever since Nixon, the President of the United States has been shadowed by an official photographer. This book is written by the first person to officially be titled the White House Videographer. Arun Chaudhary started as a cameraman for the New (read: Social) Media arm of Barack Obama's 2008 campaign team and then stayed on for the first three years of his Presidency. He generated, edited and uploaded the YouTube videos that are widely credited with getting Obama elected. This guy has a unique and interesting story to tell, but it's not meant for everyone. Chaudhary's interests and education seem to have always been split between Political Science and Film-making, and this book deals heavily with the nuts-and-bolts details of each. He breezily throws out references like the reader is a fellow junkie, which is a bit unfortunate for me as a casual observer, but okay anyway because there are certainly people (especially in Washington D.C.) who'll get it. On the other hand, there are lots of great insights to be found if a layman is paying attention.

As for my experience with the book, I was happy to hear that Obama is as genuine as he seems. I was even happier to learn about the author's baby: West Wing Week, a 4-8 minute video recap of what POTUS did last week. It can be viewed on each Friday and I think I'm addicted. My main criticism of the book is the over-use of footnotes. I wish he had either weaved the info into the narrative or forgotten about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Cameraman.

June 28, 2012 – Shelved