Ami's Reviews > The Wrong Goodbye

Jun 28, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy-with-male-protagonist
Read from October 11 to 13, 2012

Sam Thornton is a Collector -- and as one, he is responsible for every single soul he must collects. The problem is, another Collector (Danny) stole one soul of a very bad guy from under his nose. Now, Sam must finds a way to track Danny and gets his stolen-soul back before The Bad One is getting impatient and unleash his wrath on Sam

----------------------

On one hand, there are some very detailed and vivid scenes here that captured my attention and make me hang on to every word. On the other hand, I have to admit that Sam, as a character, when he is alone, is pretty bland and kind of boring :(.

In book #1, Sam was trying to save a girl's soul, so he wasn't alone for a very long time. And that book (from my own review) seemd to have more actions. In here, though, there are parts where I think the story falters and loses its appeal -- especially when it's Sam alone doing the task to track Danny.

I enjoy Sam better when he is with Gio (another dead soul, whom Danny swapped and thus, Gio fell into Sam's hand). Gio is very entertaining character. Sam is just not snarky or even smart enough to keep the story going by himself (Gio is the one finding clues about where Danny is!). Heck, even Roscoe (a Texas oilman that Sam and Gio is forced to kidnap for awhile) ends up more interesting than Sam.

I also love the addition of Gio's seven-feet-tall-blind-used-to-be-a-boy lady-friend, Theresa. She is a firecracker and she amps the action.

The ending sure misses a part where (view spoiler) I don't mind the slightly cliffie, though ... it doesn't feel like a full cliffie anyway *shrugs*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wrong Goodbye.

10/12/2012
10/12/2012
52.0% "Gio is quite a fun secondary character!"