Melissa's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Jun 28, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: ya, crapola

Oh Scarlet... I was looking forward to this one so much. Starred review, novel premise on the Robin Hood theme.

This book was a disappointment, and if I were you I'd cancel my place on the waiting list.

I truly don't understand how this was a starred review. The book, a hacked-up version of what it could have been, was poorly written in first person and just... lacked. Scarlet lacked the backstory needed to make its characters actions believable, lacked enough depth/growth of the characters to make their behaviors seem human, and most importantly lacked credibility in the fighting scenes.

At one point the author describes how Scarlet, holding a knife in each hand, jumps into the air, grabs her feet, and flips in the air. while this would be an amazing feat of dexterity, the author does not explain how Scarlet gained the skills to do this, nor is it described in a thoroughly satisfying way. She's not a ninja, and her plainly obvious past makes her a poor candidate for receiving such thorough hand-to-hand combat. Pair this with what backstory is provided, and you have Scarlet coming to join Robin Hood's band already a well-trained thief and sneak (only later in the story it is revealed that she was practically a novice when she met the Hood).

It's a messy book that will leave you longing for what could have been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.