Kevin's Reviews > Don't Turn Around

Don't Turn Around by Michelle Gagnon

Jun 28, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads-arc, reviewed

Well hello there younger version of Lisbeth Salanadar, how are you doing?

I was not a huge fan of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo for some reason, I just couldn't like the characters, the story the mystery and everything else was fine and dandy, but I really could care less who was doing the actual solving of the mystery. Don't Turn Around and Noa specifically, is basically a younger, easier to like version of Lisbeth with a touch of the movie "Eagle Eye" as well.

When Noa wakes up on a hospital bed, but clearly not in a hospital, her already messed up life is turned further upside down. She is a foster kid, who has basically lived on her lonesome the last few years, and has uncovered a hidden talent for hacking computers. She needs to escape and keep her captors at bay while she tries to really find out what's going on.

Enter Peter, a rich kid who also has the handy ability of being able to hack into any computer system he chooses. Peter of course has parents that are not so open with the truth, and that are a little too involved with the bad guys. Peter and Noa quickly learn far too much information, and together must try to take down a system that is kidnapping and killing innocent kids of the streets.

I really enjoyed the whole "hacking" portion of this book. I was worried going in, that it would be far too confusing, since I have no real knowledge of computer terms, but it was made simple by Gagnon and anything that was confusing, was thoroughly explained.

Don't Turn Around proved to be an appropriate title with how many chase scenes and narrow escapes the book had. The main characters Noa and Peter were constantly being watched or tracked, and it was rare for them to actually feel completely safe.

I was a little annoyed and distracted by Peter's side story. His ex- girlfriend was causing him all sort of emotional stress, when he should have been worried about his captors around every corner. Then when Amanda (the ex) got her own narrating parts, I got even more annoyed! I understood she showed great humanitarianism but she was not interesting to me...I sorta wish she was eliminated in general from final copy.

While we're at it, I wanted to punch Peter's father in the face throughout the entire book. He was far too wrapped up with what happened to his other son, (which we are still not clear on) he was willing to risk his only remaining son, by completely leaving him in the dark and treating him like a ten-year-old. Baring some miracle, that guy needs to go.

Overall, I thought Don't Turn Around was surprisingly good. The computer hacking world combined with the feeling of being constantly watched like in "Eagle Eye," was truly suspenseful and kept me on the edge of my seat. I'm pretty excited to see where the series goes, cause all the ending did was make me yell CONSPIRACY, TRAITORS all throughout my house.

Book was provided via edelweiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Turn Around.

June 28, 2012 – Shelved
June 28, 2012 – Shelved as: first-reads-arc
July 11, 2012 – Started Reading
August 3, 2012 –
0.0% "I have 20 days to read this, and I didn't even realize! ahh."
August 7, 2012 –
page 50
16.18% "pretty good so far.."
August 8, 2012 –
page 95
30.74% "Surprised with how much I'm enjoying this. Definitely action packed, filled with suspenseful moments."
August 12, 2012 – Finished Reading