Annie's Reviews > Tumbling Through Time

Oct 20, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2008
Read in September, 2008

** spoiler alert ** After reading Seducing Mr Darcy and falling in love with the author's easy comedy, I thought I'd read her debut novel Tumbling Through Time. I had high hopes for this novel because it sounded like it had an interesting premise - a would-be romance writer gets sucked into the plot of her novel and is seduced by the hero she created. This really could have worked really well but unfortunately didn't for a few reasons.

Firstly, the plot became a little convoluted when the heroine Seph, discovers that the hero from her romance novel is actually a real person. Did I explain that well? So, she has the power to create these characters who are modeled after real people in her life but when she is actually pulled into the novel, she realises she's actually gone back in time to a real place (Venice in the 1700's) and therefore no longer has any powers of creation. This seemed like a kind of bizarre choice for the author to make and didn't really make sense.

Secondly, the device that manages to transport the heroine back in time is a pair of pink stiletto shoes. Now when I read that in the blurb, I didn't really mind. I was perfectly happy to suspend belief...a good pair of shoes can do practically anything, right? Well, let's just say I don't believe even a hot pink pair of shoes can give you a screaming orgasm in the middle of Venice. That was really stretching it for me. I know it was supposed to be funny but it just came across as lame.

Thirdly, the novel picked up toward the end and I was starting to think I could rate it a 3 or maybe a 3.5 but then the ending sucked. We all know how a romance novel is traditionally supposed to end and I usually read them when I'm wanting that guaranteed happy high when I read the final page. I don't want the hero and heroine to end the novel living in different countries and agreeing to see one another 'on the holidays'. That sounds like something that would happen in the real world! I didn't read the book for that!!!

Read This Novel If: You don't mind your romance novel a little on the corny side. Probably wouldn't be as bad if you hadn't read the fabulous Seducing Mr Darcy beforehand.
Don't Read This Novel If: See three reasons listed above.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tumbling Through Time.