Kimmie's Reviews > Amora

Amora by Grant J. Hallstrom

bookshelves: a2020, my-reviews

"Amora" by Grant J. Hallstrom is a wonderfully accurate and detailed Christian historical fiction novel. It takes place in Rome during the mid/late 100s CE, the time when Marcus Aurelius was Caesar.

First, the story itself was fascinating. The reader follows the lives of Amora and her husband Leo starting with their marriage. To avoid spoilers, I won't discuss the plot, but there is plenty of detail about everyday life for the upper classes, politics, military campaigns, and religious strife. All of this information is imparted to the reader as organic to the story; it never makes you feel like you're reading a history book. You'll get an enjoyable and interesting story, and learn some things in the process. What could be better?

The main characters of Amora, Leo, Maria, Esteban, and Antonio are all very detailed and realistic. I particularly enjoyed Antonio's side-story and character development once he leaves Rome. Darius is also important, as he imparts major faith-based lessons to multiple characters. It was intriguing to see how each person lived out their faith, or came to find faith for the first time in their lives.

There is plenty of solid Christian content and theology in this book. Once again, it's all organic to the storyline and characters, and never feels like it's just been thrown in. Everything flows beautifully throughout the book.

A helpful glossary and some historical notes are included at the back of the book. I found the glossary a useful reference as I read, and the notes added more depth to some of the characters and events once I'd finished the story.

I highly recommend "Amora" to fans of historical fiction, ancient Rome, and Christian fiction.

Five out of five wedges of delicious Gouda!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amora.

Started Reading