Malia's Reviews > 1984

1984 by George Orwell

bookshelves: best-of-2020, fantasy-sci-fi

"War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."

I read 1984 in school and hated it (probably kind of the point of the book), and certainly never intended to read it again. However, it feels as though we are living in a sort of dystopia at the moment, so I thought, what the hell? I'm already losing my mind a little, why not fan the flames;-)
Turns out it’s kind of brilliant! Brilliant in a terrifying way, that is. 1984 might be one of the scariest books I’ve ever read, and I read A LOT of crime fiction, so that's saying something! It's disturbing, because the way Orwell describes the world Winston lives in feels plausible. Absolutely recommended!

Find my book reviews and more at http://www.princessandpen.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.

Quotes Malia Liked

George Orwell
“It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.”
George Orwell, 1984

February 10, 2020 – Shelved (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
February 10, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read (Mass Market Paperback Edition)
September 30, 2020 – Started Reading
September 30, 2020 – Shelved
October 8, 2020 – Shelved as: best-of-2020
October 8, 2020 – Shelved as: fantasy-sci-fi
October 8, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Barry (new) - added it

Barry Medlin Excellent review Malia! Funny how books we hated in high school come back as great reads as adults!

Malia Barry wrote: "Excellent review Malia! Funny how books we hated in high school come back as great reads as adults!"

So true, Barry! I have had the same experience with Hemingway's books. I think when you are "forced" to read something at a certain age, it can sour the experience. Whereas when you read it by choice as an adult, you can get a lot more out of it.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris Yes. "Ignorance is strength."

Malia Kris wrote: "Yes. "Ignorance is strength.""

Scary...

message 5: by Elise (new) - added it

Elise I definitely want to read this soon, and this review only reinforces that! Woo!

Malia Elise wrote: "I definitely want to read this soon, and this review only reinforces that! Woo!"

Very curious to hear what you think of it when you read it!!

Dennis Great book. But even as I have read this for the first time as an adult, I don't feel like reading it again.

Malia Dennis wrote: "Great book. But even as I have read this for the first time as an adult, I don't feel like reading it again."

It's definitely not a fun read! I'm glad I read it again, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to:)