Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay)'s Reviews > Burn for Burn

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han

Jun 28, 2012

it was ok
Read from June 27 to 28, 2012

Lilllia has always been pretty, popular and has a great family life. She manages things well until the night she has too much to drink at a party, and a boy goes to far even though she says 'no.' Not to mention her younger sister seems to be having sleepovers with one of Lillia's guy friends (Alex Lind), lying and sneaking around. She can't seem to count on her best friend Rennie, who seems more mean girl than friend lately. So Lillia decides to get revenge on Alex herself - with the help of outcast Kat and not-so-new girl Mary. Kat wants revenge on Rennie herself. A long time ago they used to be best friends, until Rennie decided to ditch her and spread nasty rumors about her that ruined her seputation. Now Kat is fed up and wants her to pay for what she's done. Mary also wants revenge. She came back to Jar Island specifically so that she could get back at one of the most popular boys in school, Reeve, who drove her to try committing suicide in the seventh grade and turned everyone against her. Now she wants him to feel the pain that she's felt all of these years. At first the girls are united under a drive for revenge and things run smoothly, just a little fun. But when things get taken too far and someone ends up in the hospital, will the girls be able to live with themselves? I thought the idea for the novel was intriguing and I loved Jenny Han's Summer series. I'm not such a big fan of Siobhan Vivian, but I felt like with two writers it would easily overlooked. I loved the narration for Lillia. The poor girl was trying to please everyone in her life, while still keeping something for herself. My main complaint would be that the rape was majorly glossed over. It didn't affect Lillia nearly as much as I thought that it would. Also, her entire 'revenge' issue could have been settled by simply freaking TALKING TO ALEX! All the same, for me she was the most sympathetic. With a horrible best friend like Rennie, sympathy is in order. Second in my mind was Kat. I identified with her ostracization, the rumors and the somewhat poor upbringing she had in comparison with her classmates. I definitely understood her motivations for revenge and why Rennie was the target. I mean, it wasn't enough to just ditch Alex she had to ruin her life as well, on the heels of the loss of her Mom. The one character I didn't connect to AT ALL was Mary. I felt like she was part of an after-school special, not a book. She was very one-dimensional. I never felt like I, as a reader, got much insight into her mind. She was far more of a telling character than a 'showing' one. The situation with Reeve felt very untrue and not very realistic (at least in my experience). The plot was a little slow to unfold, but once it did it went really smoothly. All except for a really abrupt and in my honest opinion, ridiculous ending. Even if there is a sequel I don't forsee myself reading it. The ending ruined any good feeling for the rest of the book on my part. The hint of supernatural thrown in on the last few pages didn't fit in at all. It was the Waldo of the 'Where Is Waldo' book series. Not a book I will re-read or recommend.

VERDICT: 2.25/5 Stars

*I received this book as part of Around the World ARC Tours, run by the lovely Princess Bookie. No favors or money were exchanged for this review. It will be available for purchase on September 18th, 2012.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn for Burn.

06/28/2012 page 109