Russell Atkinson's Reviews > To the Land of Long Lost Friends

To the Land of Long Lost Friends by Alexander McCall Smith

This is yet another charming addition to the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series. Nominally mysteries, they are in reality musings on life and human foibles, written with humor and keen insight to human nature. The author has an obvious love of Botswana and depicts it as an easy living bucolic place where the simple things in life still dominate. Farming. Family. Friends. Not the hellhole where everyone lives in mud huts and has AIDS as one high U.S. government official has declared.

Those who are expecting action or even a real plot will be disappointed, but if this is read with the right mindset it can be enjoyed by anyone. It helps to be familiar with the characters. I believe the first few books in the series were better, with more of a plot line. This is not the best one to introduce yourself to the characters. The BBC/PBS series starring Jill Scott was absolutely wonderful. Hearing the accent and speech curiosities of Botswana sets the mood. Reading them on the page can seem a bit odd.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Land of Long Lost Friends.

Started Reading
September 30, 2020 – Shelved
September 30, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Having forgotten all about this series, I am so glad to have read your review. I plan now to go back and pick up where I left off several years ago.