Pan | Book Reviews and Recommendations 's Reviews > What's Coming for You

What's Coming for You by Joshua Rex

Read 2 times

Joshua Rex was awesome enough to send me a copy of his debut horror collection novel, 'What's Coming For You'.

I've said it before and I will say it again; I am a sucker for horror anthologies.

In this lovely horror anthology Rex delivers 10 stories varying in length and horror tropes that will keep you company for the lovely macabre celebration period of Halloween.

All stories relate in one way or another to our one common subterranean destination and the thing that comes for us all in the end.

The anthology reads out like 'Tales from the Crypt' as there is a strong vibe in most of the stories, especially the short ones. If you have never came across 'Tales from the Crypt' you are missing out so go and search it now!!

From the teen horror shocker of 'Breakout Season' where the gore pours out at the right moment, to the weird yet beautiful ala 'Heart shaped box', 'Coattails' Joshua Rex got me hooked.

I fell in love with ' A Mother's Museum'. From start to finish this gem of a story had the eerie feeling that things could go wrong at any moment for the protagonist. It's a tale of drama, the will to overachieve and all things that could go wrong from a mother's love surplus.

The pantheon of my favorites also includes 'The Reveal', a hauntingly wonderful horror love story and 'The voice Below'.

Especially 'The voice Below' indicates Joshua's ability for a longer, full length novel of horror. One that I would like to read really soon.
When given space to expand his ideas, the story gets in overdrive, the writing craft level ups and the horror amplifies.

Short stories that pack a serious punch, lengthier slabs of horror, lovely tales of dread. This is 'What's coming for you' and it's lovely and it's beautiful and will leave you asking for more and more.

I really enjoyed this book and I cannot wait for the next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Coming for You.

Finished Reading
September 6, 2020 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
September 6, 2020 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
September 29, 2020 – Shelved
September 29, 2020 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)