Mmtimes4's Reviews > Heft

Heft by Liz Moore

Jun 27, 2012

Read in June, 2012

Former academic Arthur Opp weighs 550 pounds and hasn't left his rambling Brooklyn home in a decade. Twenty miles away, in Yonkers, seventeen-year-old Kel Keller navigates life as the poor kid in a rich school and pins his hopes on what seems like a promising baseball career if he can untangle himself from his family drama. The link between this unlikely pair is Kel s mother, Charlene, a former student of Arthur s. After nearly two decades of silence, it is Charlene s unexpected phone call to Arthur a plea for help that jostles them into action. Through Arthur and Kel s own quirky and lovable voices, Heft tells the winning story of two improbable heroes whose sudden connection transforms both their lives. Like Elizabeth McCracken s The Giant s House, Heft is a novel about love and family found in the most unexpected places.
I probably would have never picked up this novel if it weren't for my friend Karen reading it and giving it a good review. I loved the depth of the characters in this book. I loved the story, how each life is uncovered as you continue to read. You are taken to a brown-stone in New York, where your heart aches for Arthur and his loneliness. To Kel and his struggles as a high school boy raising himself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heft.