jD's Reviews > Moon Called

Jun 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, 2_audio-book, fantasy_myths, fantasy_urban
Read from June 27 to 28, 2012

This one is more 3.5 and more the result of the audio book format. None the less, I like it enough to go to book 2 which I have already loaded on the ITouch. Why am I continuing with the series in audio? I don't trust my patience with a physical book just yet.

I like Ms. Briggs world. The weres are interesting and close to their base natures while the vamps are nasty. Just the way I like it. Mercy is a challenge for me...I love her intelligence and honesty but she didn't come off the page for me. I should not have listened to it right behind a re-read of Night Huntress. The fire of Cat and Bones left flames on my mind that didn't get further ignited by Mercy.

In audio, Mercy's delivery is much more sober with little humor. It's not a bad thing, it's a mood thing for me. I believe I need to give her space to work with and find her own voice. To do this, I am giving book 2 my undivided attention. I am not going to mix in any other alpha female heroines.

See -- I can be reasonable! Thus I will hold a critique of this series until I have given it another go.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Called.

message 1: by Jesslyn (new) - added it

Jesslyn Keep with it. This is a GOOD series.

message 2: by jD (new) - rated it 3 stars

jD I had to hit up a co-worker to fill in a big gap. I fell asleep on the audio book about one hour before the end. It was o'dark :30 so it wasn't Ms. Biggs. I work up during the wrap of the last chapter. I like quite a bit about the characters and creativity. The vamps intrigue me for sure. I have ordered the second book from the library.

message 3: by Jesslyn (new) - added it

Jesslyn I hate when that happens, lol! This is a good series. IMO, only one book was a dud and you're far from it. Patricia Briggs was one of my fav writers before she started doing UF, so I was really pleasantly surprised that she made the transition from epic fantasy to UF so gracefully.

Hehe, I'm not alone, she even has a GR Fan group. I hope you continue to enjoy the series.

message 4: by Jesslyn (new) - added it

Jesslyn Also, all of the books are available on Kindle.

message 5: by Brittany B. (new) - added it

Brittany B. I'm about to start this series, tomorrow. It was supposed to be a buddy read, but my buddy isn't dedicated. We'll see if she hangs in there. She doesn't do audiobooks, so I'm worried I will finish this alone.
If you are going on to the next book right away, I'll be excited to see your review!! I've heard that once you get to book three it gets much better.
That's a long time to listen or read a series before it is juicy...
I also love Cat and Bones!! :) my favorite.