Louise's Reviews > Angela's Ashes

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

Oct 19, 2008

liked it
Read in January, 2009

Though this book was a bit gritty in its portrayal of the poverty in Ireland, I felt I caught a real glimpse of how desperate the times must have been. It made me think again of all that I enjoy. I can't even imagine how the people could live on so little. The writing style is different, but it felt natural, like he was telling you the story, first hand. It was easier to read, even for the awful circumstances described. It was this description that was hard to digest, not the style of writing. I'm glad that I experienced it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angela's Ashes.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Becky Since I'm reading "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" which is about poverty in NYC in about 1912, "Angela's Ashes" sounds similar and appealing. I'd love to swap books with you, but I don't know which one to give up! Take a look at my list and see if there are any you want to temporarily swap, as collateral. I don't give up books easily. No hurry. When I finish "Tree" I'm going to read "The Zookeeper's Daughter."

Let me know which one of mine you want, I'll bring it to the stake training day Nov. 1 and we can trade for a spell.

Louise Sure I'd love to switch books with you! Someday I need to read "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", but as you're reading it, do you have "The Other Boleyn Girl"? I just read Gregory's book about Kathyrn the Great, and would love to continue the story. I did just start "Coming Home", I found it in a give away pile on base, and after reading that you loved them, I started reading. So, far I'm impressed with her writing style. Its very comfortable. I like the way she brings her characters to life. Its been enjoyable, so far. So, I'll catch you on Nov. 1st.

Becky Ah, Pilcher. Love her stuff. The "comfortable" label fits.

I do have "The Other Boleyn Girl." It's a swap.

message 3: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Didn't Frank McCourt also write the book "Teacher Man"? I'd like to read that one sometime.

Donna-Marie Ah guys, I'm Irish living in Ireland. Ireland was not as desperate and depressing as this book implys. As iv said in my own review it insults Irish people's intelligence. Pretty discusting if you ask me. And before you ask my whole family is working class Irish.

Louise I am interested in hearing more of what life really is or was like then, there in Ireland. While living in Germany, I really wanted to visit, but will have to another time. The media really paints the conflict in Ireland as desperate times. What's it really like?