Christal's Reviews > Armed & Magical

Armed & Magical by Lisa Shearin

I loved this novel just as much, if not more, than the first. Everything that I enjoyed from the debut was still here and Raine herself just gets better and better.

Raine travels to the Isle of Mid thinking that she can find someone to help her disentangle from the Saghred. Instead, she finds herself in high demand. Everyone seems to have their own agenda and Raine plays into them all somehow. The humor and action were non-stop (except for when snippets of romance slipped in) and I did not want to put this book down.

Raine is dealing with the increased power bump she got from the Saghred. She seems to be dealing okay for now, but everyone is watching her closely. She again proves herself to be resourceful, smart, and loyal to a fault. She might come from a line of smugglers and thieves, but Raine has the heart of a hero.

Piaras was a true gem in this novel. He is starting to grow into the powerful spell-singer he will be one day. He has had a lot of his illusions shattered, but refuses to give up. He holds his own and proves to be a true partner to Raine.

As for the other men in Raines' life, Mychael and Tam were both utterly swoon-worthy for different reasons. Tam is dark and seductive, especially now that the Saghred calls to the black magic in his past. When Raine and Tam are together, sparks fly and you can feel the heat coming off the page. Mychael offers a more stable and honorable appeal. He protects Raine in all things and you can see that they respect and value each other. Mychael tends to take things (frustratingly) slower, but it seems like he is trying to build a real connection with her. I like both of them, though the dark magic does make Tam a little scary, and they both seem to genuinely care for Raine. It's an impossible choice!

I love this series so far and every time I pick up one of the books I get a smile on my face. I've already purchased the third and fourth novels and can't wait to see what Raine gets up to next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armed & Magical.

June 27, 2012 – Started Reading